Tin and frozen food

jfllafitte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am looking for answer with regards to elevated tin concentration in reef tank.
My tank is almost two years old and my icp test gives a concentration of 154 which is to the roof.. the things is that I am not using pvc, it is an aio tank and i have no metal in the tank.
I have to say that sps seems to not be affected, only the spft corals and gorgones seems to not like it ( reason why I have done the icp test)
I read on the fauna marin website that Froozen foid and especially froozen artemias is a strong source of tin. Some algae food as well. And I have to admit that I use a lot frozen food and do not rince it. Also I am not doing water change as I am following the dsr method. Therefore the high amou t of tin in my tank...
Any of you would agree on the fauna marin statement with regards to frozen food?
Thanks in advance for your answers.
JF LAFITTE

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tubing on your aio pump? If you do, check this thread out:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic. Plastics in cheap pumps can release tin for a long time. General use buckets, non food grade mixing stations, plumbing can also do this.

As for food, there are many harsh metals in food. This is why export is so important. Skimmers can get this done in many cases since they can bind to organics, but skimming is not always great in AIO tanks.

OP
OP
J

jfllafitte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tubing on your aio pump? If you do, check this thread out:
I only have silicone tubing on the return pump.

OP
OP
J

jfllafitte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic. Plastics in cheap pumps can release tin for a long time. General use buckets, non food grade mixing stations, plumbing can also do this.

As for food, there are many harsh metals in food. This is why export is so important. Skimmers can get this done in many cases since they can bind to organics, but skimming is not always great in AIO tanks.
I am skimming, I have a royal exclusiv mini bubble king 160. My tank is a custom tank the return pump is a royal exclusiv pump. I really do not explain apart from maybe tunze magnets or pump magnets, but I check and any rusting should be visible. Really I do not explain this apart maybe from the food.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Chinese flow pumps? No tin in Tunze plastics.

You test your salt mix? There were some salts that had tin in them a while back, but they appear gone from the hobby. They were also US based salts that I don't know ever made it to The Netherlands.

OP
OP
J

jfllafitte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Chinese flow pumps? No tin in Tunze plastics.

You test your salt mix? There were some salts that had tin in them a while back, but they appear gone from the hobby. They were also US based salts that I don't know ever made it to The Netherlands.
Depends what you call a chinese pump. I guess that all are mostly made in China . I have a reef wave 45 , an AI nero 5 and yes on jebao 2500. Should maybe check that one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back