How would you go about doing a tank on a limited budget

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for some people, having a budget tank is the best option for reefing. Other times people are more willing to splurge on certain aspects of the tank and are able to make a "dream tank". I am wondering what would you do differently with your tank if you were on a limited budget, or how would you maintain a tank on a limited budget? Curious to see what everyone says!

XtraKargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mostly good used stuff on the FB forums or even the scratch and dent section of "Amazon Warehouse". Then try and roll the costs into my monthly budget. I've yet to stay under budget on the tanks yet. Just fired up my 3rd tank two weeks ago. I'm finding it isn't so much the "cost" but the time now. Good question though!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a link in my signature where I built and maintained a 60g cube tank for $1000 for one year. I mostly kept easy SPS, but it grew nearly wall-to-wall in a year.

Used stuff, marketplace finds, older but quality gear. Easy dosing by hand with grocery store stuff.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly good used stuff on the FB forums or even the scratch and dent section of "Amazon Warehouse". Then try and roll the costs into my monthly budget. I've yet to stay under budget on the tanks yet. Just fired up my 3rd tank two weeks ago. I'm finding it isn't so much the "cost" but the time now. Good question though!
Used stuff is definitely one way to stay in budget, that is for sure!

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a link in my signature where I built and maintained a 60g cube tank for $1000 for one year. I mostly kept easy SPS, but it grew nearly wall-to-wall in a year.

Used stuff, marketplace finds, older but quality gear. Easy dosing by hand with grocery store stuff.
That's impressive you were able to do that!

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used, used, used.
Make FRIENDS in the hobby and spend time learning rather than spending money, which will allow you to be able to talk to those in the hobby accurately.
If you make good friends, often times they'll help you out with maybe some free corals, or maybe some food they don't use etc.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way to save on budget for a new build is to build a tank that is designed to take full advantage of the the Random Flow Generator Nozzle. This can literally save 300 - 400 bucks or more, given a proper setup for the RFG

For instance, in a typical 40 to 50 gallon tank, you could easily flow the entire tank with just two 1/2in RFGs (one on each corner) and a return pump capable of 800 to 1,200 GPH. If done right, you wouldn't need any expensive powerheads.

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used, I bought a used 45 gallon cube with stand and sump from a LFS for about $220 and spent maybe $380 more setting the whole thing up…. I have less than 2k in it and it’s been up for almost 3 years. Oh best tip trade coral to your LFS if they sell used equipment

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have given this some thought. I already have 2 salt water. I happened on a 75 gallon setup that included tank, return pump, octopus 110 classic, stand all of the rock I would need. It was old pukani rock. I paid 100.00 for everything. I had to clean a very neglected setup and reseal the tank. Purchases 40 gallon breeder for sump Petco 50% off 76.00, 30.00 glass for sump. 100.00 for jebao return pump, won't trust a used one. 300.00 in plumbing, 100.00 for wood to make hood and reinforce used stand. 160.00 apiece for 2 vipatspectra lights. Sand 1 per pound 40 pounds. This is as cheap a setup as I can think of and we're at 1000.00 without wave makers and other items needed. Can't get much more budget and still had to sell a kidney.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this thread demonstrates that budget reefing is absolutely possible and achievable, if you know what you are doing.

Therein lies the rub.

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step up a shopping list going as far into the future as you want, with categories to keep you on track.
Keep an eye out on craigslist, facebook groups and marketplace, and local aquarium clubs (if you have any... I don't seem to have any) for any deals on equipment and snatch them when you can afford them and when they're relevant or usable for the build you have in mind.
Subscribe to online retailers' mailing lists and keep an eye out for significant discounts.
Buy things piecemeal, then assemble when you collect enough of the basics!
That's what I did. It took me a good handful of month of saving, watching for deals, and buying stuff, to even get my bare bones tank equipment, because I don't have enough money to just go buy all the new shiny stuff in 1 go.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting everything used. Let someone else pay the "off the lot" price. Patience will reward you and great deals always come and go. Getting comfortable in fixing stuff to work with your setup.

Thoretically... I think the cheapest you can go is any AIO w/ return pump, a cheap LED light, a heater, rock and sand, and consistent water changes buying water from a LFS.

Next on the list would be ATO, protein skimmer, and wavemakers/pumps.

When you inevitably outgrow the AIO, get a used tank w/ sump and the cycle continues. But now you might be interested in dosing, getting a refugium or ATS setup, calcium reactor, a bigger protein skimmer, bigger lights...

And since you have a bigger tank, you might as well get an RODI unit and salt so you dont gotta lug around gallons of water from the LFS.

Then maybe a make the AIO a quarantine tank and have 2 full tank setups.

Christ this hobby has a way of squeezing you dry.

Jonathan t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a aqeuon tank with the built in filter, diy sump, building a stand, Chinese box lights or the t247. And as others have stated jabeo pumps. It’s essentially what I have and I have been growing sps colonies for years , hammers/torches, etc . My personal opinion is when people start reefing they should probably go the cheap route, diy budget reefer style to better understand. Because, just because you can afford the redsea or water box full aquarium set up and hydra lights but can’t keep a frag alive. Something is wrong, but hey that just means we all can pick up a nice tank of marketplace for cheaper than retail.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found that my LFS store has great water. And with their service coming out to doing the maintenance on my tank is worth the price. It is a cheaper route rather buying my own salt. And RO equipment. They come once or twice a month and water changes are done, excessive cleaning siphoning is done. RO is topped off. Cleaning filter all included and testing all parameters, dosing all including also.

It’s technically all hands free while they do it for $120 each visit. I found it worth it as I’m not always home and always coming home to the super clean reef tank. Also to take in perspective. It’s expensive having to get Hanna vials to refill continuously testing, and Alk and Cal get expensive when handling the tank by yourself. You use more money short term rather than saving long term with them doing it.

Now I don’t always have them come every month, only months with holidays that I know I will be gone for a month for holiday. (Say *seasonal*) but worth it in my Opinion.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back