Budget Lighting Options for a mixed reef 10 gallon.

Miniblade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I have a 19.6" long x 9.8" wide x 13.3" deep tank, and I'm in search of a BUDGET FRIENDLY light. Pics of rockscape below. I want to be able to grow anacroporas on the top back of the tank by the return outlet, montipora setosas in the top middle of the tank, various euphyllia on the dropoff at the front of the rockwork, and various other LPS throughout the tank. What BUDGET FRIENDLY light would be my best option?

1709275196326.png

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the time to save up for something you'll be happy with rather than budget, especially if you want sps. 2 sticks could cost more than the light.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the Dalua Pixel is pretty good $100 for the lights.

100$ and no power supply?

I would suggest
88$ for SmatFarm 60w

95$ for nicrew hyper reef 50w

77$ For Noopsyche K7 mini 60w

Any of these should be suitable for 10g mixed reef with some basic sps towards the top

Last edited:

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under 100$ it's easy. Noo-Psyche K7 mini. It's the only good light under 100$ that I am aware of that has app control. If anyone knows otherwise, feel free to correct me.

Between 100-200? I would say Noo-Psyche K7 3 pro.

Above 200, and AI prime would be ok, but I would rather have the K7 3 Pro.

I'm a Kessil guy myself, because I love the shimmer. But Kessil lights are expensive. I think Noo-Psyche has the budget category locked down if you want a light with an app and not some wonky on-light programming.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimensions of that tank are not ideal for puck-style LEDs. The ideal would be an AI Blade, but that's gonna cost more.

My two suggestions are:
1. Noopsyche K7 Mini + modified shade*
* Since a puck will give so much light spill on that narrow tank, I would make a long shade for the narrow sides and leave the long sides short or open so the light beams only down into the tank

2. 21ledUSA Reefbar Pro blue heavy bar is 18" and would fit that tank. A pair of them would give quite a lot of PAR.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pixels are gonna run you almost 200 for a light, mount and power supply. Not worth it cus you’ll want 2 for decent spread. I second the blade, it fits perfect with the evo tank lid

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it from me, I went through 4 different "budget" LEDs on my Evo. Ended with a NoopsyK7 Mini ehich worked great.

If I were to redo it, I would just make sure I got the right light the first time. For the Evo, that was the Noopsyche K7 Mini. For your tank, I would splurge on an AI Blade Grow. Especially since you want a mixed reef with sticks.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it from me, I went through 4 different "budget" LEDs on my Evo. Ended with a NoopsyK7 Mini ehich worked great.

If I were to redo it, I would just make sure I got the right light the first time. For the Evo, that was the Noopsyche K7 Mini. For your tank, I would splurge on an AI Blade Grow. Especially since you want a mixed reef with sticks.

OP
OP
M

Miniblade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under 100$ it's easy. Noo-Psyche K7 mini. It's the only good light under 100$ that I am aware of that has app control. If anyone knows otherwise, feel free to correct me.

Between 100-200? I would say Noo-Psyche K7 3 pro.

Above 200, and AI prime would be ok, but I would rather have the K7 3 Pro.

I'm a Kessil guy myself, because I love the shimmer. But Kessil lights are expensive. I think Noo-Psyche has the budget category locked down if you want a light with an app and not some wonky on-light programming.
How is the spectrum on the K7 3 pro? I'm wanting to cover all 3 spectrum peaks if and where possible. I know that for AB+ you run the following settings
1709280074480.png

Furthermore, I assume a diffuser is a very good idea on most ""black box"" lights? I know that all of the chinese lights I've seen tested have very inconsistent PAR and lots of disco balling.

Last edited:

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the spectrum on the K7 3 pro? I'm wanting to cover all 3 spectrum peaks if and where possible. I know that for AB+ you run the following settings
1709280074480.png

Furthermore, I assume a diffuser is a very good idea on most ""black box"" lights? I know that all of the chinese lights I've seen tested have very inconsistent PAR and lots of disco balling.
The spectrum question is one I can't answer, I don't own the K7 3 pro. I've got a mini on the way for my quarantine tank. My understanding is that the spectrum on the K7 can be adjusted. As far as a diffuser that will depend on your preference. Even the AI prime disco balls a lot. I think the Noo-Psyche lights use better lenses than most of the Chinese black box lights. The Noo-Psych lights seem to have a nice shimmer to them. If it's the option you go with, I would see how you like it without a diffuser, and add one if you prefer a more diffuse look. That's a personal preference thing. I like shimmer which is why I use a Kessil a500x, but there is no disco balling on a Kessil. As far as I have seen, Kessil is the only one making LED's that don't disco ball without a diffuser.

I'll be happy to post back with my opinion on the mini when I receive it.

Here is a comparison to a Radion, from Noo-Psyche. You can find a lot of comparison videos on youtube.

OP
OP
M

Miniblade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After comparing all of my options, I've decided that the K7 pro is by far the best light option I have. I dont know where I'm gonna place the low light preferential LPS such as acans, but that's an issue for later me to deal with. At this stage in the tank it's not a lot of effort to pull the scape and redo the arch.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After comparing all of my options, I've decided that the K7 pro is by far the best light option I have. I dont know where I'm gonna place the low light preferential LPS such as acans, but that's an issue for later me to deal with. At this stage in the tank it's not a lot of effort to pull the scape and redo the arch.

You could always add a magnetic shelf
And then put acans under it and out of direct light

A shelf like this in top right of my pic. It sticks out a few inches, would reduce light to things under it but not block completely. You can get magnetic shelves that look like rock also

Attachments

• 7B27BB18-D837-4CE3-98DD-23C2FD7BECB5.jpeg
    7B27BB18-D837-4CE3-98DD-23C2FD7BECB5.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 34
  • AC5F8159-030A-43B6-9092-4630CF6101B2.png
    AC5F8159-030A-43B6-9092-4630CF6101B2.png
    563.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 6B16A021-D0E7-4697-B9F0-FC75CFDF86BB.png
    6B16A021-D0E7-4697-B9F0-FC75CFDF86BB.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
M

Miniblade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always add a magnetic shelf
And then put acans under it and out of direct light

A shelf like this in top right of my pic. It sticks out a few inches, would reduce light to things under it but not block completely. You can get magnetic shelves that look like rock also
As of now there's a couple places that don't get very much light, but this is also with an absolutely garbage LED light that was included with the tank. When my light comes in I'm gonna rent a par meter from a local reefer so I can measure peaks and lows, hopefully I can hit around 80 par in the dark spots but I really doubt that'll be the case. I can always do what you suggested or just add more rock to the arch.

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a long term radion/ ai prime guy I love the

Noo-Psyche K7 Pro III​

that I have covering half of my frag tank. Im growing some beauties under that light (acropora)

EasternShoreman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 100% on the Noo-psyche K7 Pro III bandwagon. I've replaced my AI Primes. Buy Noo-psyche now while they are still the best value going in lighting that can easily grow sticks. Eventually the Noo-psyche secret is going to spread through the hobby at large.

Tom1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should take a noopsyche pro and not the Mini... I have both. Love the pro. Gives a beautifull light...

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I were to redo it, I would just make sure I got the right light the first time. For the Evo, that was the Noopsyche K7 Mini. For your tank, I would splurge on an AI Blade Grow. Especially since you want a mixed reef with sticks
This is great info. I'm new and I have the Evo and I've tried 3 lights that I got to product test from the Amazon Vine program. I'm going to buy that K7 I think because I've been using 2 of the "free" ones and that's just silly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back