How would you implement kalkwasser secondary to AFR

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have my daily dose of 75ml per day off all for reef in my 100 gallon. If I wanted to implement the usage of kalk down the road so I don’t have such a high daily amount of AFR and a ph boost, how would I supplement AFR with kalk safely ? I want the safest way possible. Just start with very low dose of kalk?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be doing the same as my tank matures, but my position is opposite of yours. I started with kalk dosing, and will supplement kalk dosing by adding AFR. I'm looking to use kalk to maintain alk and get the pH stabilization, and when I hit the limit of liquid volume I can dose, then I will add AFR for additional supplement.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
timely: Turns out I JUST started combining the two: AFR and kalk…
not a direct answer but what I did was calculate my daily evap rate and set my DOS to supply 50% of that unsaturated kalk/w vinegar
I set up arguments in apex to stop dosing according to sump level, pH and alkalinity (failsafes @ 10dKh and 8.4pH) et…..
my AFR won’t kick in until kalk dosing can’t keep up with alkalinity…. ( that’s why I set my all dosing below evap rate so I can adjust up the karl dosage as demand dictates)

I have Trident to keep monitoring things….
I’ll manually dose Ca & Mg as needed until the AFR kicks in

Following for other input/ideas….

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my daily dose of 75ml per day off all for reef in my 100 gallon. If I wanted to implement the usage of kalk down the road so I don’t have such a high daily amount of AFR and a ph boost, how would I supplement AFR with kalk safely ? I want the safest way possible. Just start with very low dose of kalk?
I re-read that… ya know you could theoretically dose kalk first like I’m doing until you have to dose AFR … especially since kalk is already a balanced solution sans trace elements

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-read that… ya know you could theoretically dose kalk first like I’m doing until you have to dose AFR … especially since kalk is already a balanced solution sans trace elements
It's like someone said that already :face-savoring-food: but seriously, I think it's a great approach. In time, there will be only so much liquid volume one can dose before exceeding evaporation.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only used kalkwasser to smother hydroids, this has been in a syringe paste.
Why do you dose this out of interest.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only used kalkwasser to smother hydroids, this has been in a syringe paste.
Why do you dose this out of interest.
Have you not heard about Kalkwasser dosing and how it helps to supplement Alk/Ca and benefit to pH? Feel like we're about to be rickrolled!

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently dosing 4L per day Kalk and 20ml per day AFR. I originally ran just AFR. When I implemented Kalk, I reduced my AFR down from 25ml to 5ml and then ramped up my Kalk until I maxxed out my evap rate.

Just test alk regularly and you should be ok.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always do kalk until it can't keep up with demand, then start with AFR.

That sounds like a good plan to me. Folks are always pondering how to move forward once limewater/kalkwasser can no longer meet demand.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be doing the same as my tank matures, but my position is opposite of yours. I started with kalk dosing, and will supplement kalk dosing by adding AFR. I'm looking to use kalk to maintain alk and get the pH stabilization, and when I hit the limit of liquid volume I can dose, then I will add AFR for additional supplement.
I wonder how much kalk I’ll actually need to get a ph boost. I feel like your way will be easier to do the switch.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm currently dosing 4L per day Kalk and 20ml per day AFR. I originally ran just AFR. When I implemented Kalk, I reduced my AFR down from 25ml to 5ml and then ramped up my Kalk until I maxxed out my evap rate.

Just test alk regularly and you should be ok.
That’s that’s exactly what I had in mind. I’ll probably be testing alk 5 times the first few days. I have to do a little more research into kalk. How do you dose the kalk? I’ve read about all the methods.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s that’s exactly what I had in mind. I’ll probably be testing alk 5 times the first few days. I have to do a little more research into kalk. How do you dose the kalk? I’ve read about all the methods.
Not to. but in but Randy got a few very good articles, did you check. those out?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back