Hue LED Strips & Algae Growth

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This may be a dumb question but I have my tank in my kitchen under the cabinets. about 5 inches above the tank are my HUE Led Strips. They lights are constantly on as there’s no natural light in my kitchen. I was wondering if this had any contribution to my algae growth ? I run my lights 8 hours a day plus the strips are on 16 hours or so a day.

image.jpg

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, light is light and algea love them some light! I would say there's a good possibility that it does contribute to your algea growth. I wish there was something I could think of to help you but, the only thing I can think of is either turn the leds off earlier or move the tank to somewhere else.

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, light is light and algea love them some light! I would say there's a good possibility that it does contribute to your algea growth. I wish there was something I could think of to help you but, the only thing I can think of is either turn the leds off earlier or move the tank to somewhere else.
Yeah my wife and I are upgrading from this cube 10 to a marine x 60.2 and putting it in our living room. Took a long time of convincing but once she saw the corals and anemones and how the guest in the house were obsessed she was all for it. She’s opted in a mid century modern design so the cube of the tanks work great for her taste.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my wife and I are upgrading from this cube 10 to a marine x 60.2 and putting it in our living room. Took a long time of convincing but once she saw the corals and anemones and how the guest in the house were obsessed she was all for it. She’s opted in a mid century modern design so the cube of the tanks work great for her taste.
Heck yeah, bigger tank is always a good thing haha plus cooler fish ability!

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yeah, bigger tank is always a good thing haha plus cooler fish ability!
Yeah we were going to buy it a few days ago, but saw WB “Blue Day” so everything is going to go on sale.

What do you think about these fish for stocking ?

2 (clownfish) - Owned
(?) bangii cardinal
(?) Fire Fish
(?) Orchid Dottyback

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we were going to buy it a few days ago, but saw WB “Blue Day” so everything is going to go on sale.

What do you think about these fish for stocking ?

2 (clownfish) - Owned
(?) bangii cardinal
(?) Fire Fish
(?) Orchid Dottyback
Cardinals are awesome, im thinking about getting like 3 myself. With a 36 gallon, I'd probably do the 2 clowns, 2 bangii, 2 firefish, and one orchid. Those fish are a good color scheme and can't really go wrong! I'd probably also add a cleaner goby. They'll munch on algea but mostly they eat parasites off of fish like ich. Plus they're blue haha

Hmoney720

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gal Biocube reef tank and I had two clowns, a leopard wrasse, and two bangai cardinals. Had to get rid of a clown due to the other clown wanting to kill it. The bangai cardinals were cool, but one was bullying the other so I got rid of the bully. Then, about half a year later, my one bangai cardinal became very territorial during feeding time. it would swiftly try to chase away the leopard wrasse whenever it got close to its home. I had to get rid of that bangai because one day it chased my wrasse away so quickly that the wrasse came out of my tank. Not sure if anyone else has had issues with the cardinals, but that was my story hahaha

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gal Biocube reef tank and I had two clowns, a leopard wrasse, and two bangai cardinals. Had to get rid of a clown due to the other clown wanting to kill it. The bangai cardinals were cool, but one was bullying the other so I got rid of the bully. Then, about half a year later, my one bangai cardinal became very territorial during feeding time. it would swiftly try to chase away the leopard wrasse whenever it got close to its home. I had to get rid of that bangai because one day it chased my wrasse away so quickly that the wrasse came out of my tank. Not sure if anyone else has had issues with the cardinals, but that was my story hahaha
I've been told bangais do better in groups and clowns can be that way sometimes but he already has a pair so I think they're paired up and will do fine. And always have a lid of some sort with a wrasse! They are jumpers lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back