OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see them that commonly but if you look up cirolanid isopods they look very unique. From my understanding, these are the "bad" isopods. These are parasites that latch onto fish.
yeah, they do look different haha
So even if I do ever have the "bad" ones there's no problem with the corals or the turbos?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, they do look different haha
So even if I do ever have the "bad" ones there's no problem with the corals or the turbos?

There are some on here that claim that amphipods are eating their corals but I would be very skeptical if you see that being said. If you ever see one of the bad amphipods you need to get it out but I have never heard nor seen a true case of amphipods eating corals (or turbos) with the hundreds if not thousands of people I have talked to in the hobby and at the lfs I work at (plus I can't find any literature on amphipods eating corals; as a matter of fact they should be eaten by the corals).

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, about the gazillion pods on the filter sock:
Should I empty them in the tank or throw them away?

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some on here that claim that amphipods are eating their corals but I would be very skeptical if you see that being said. If you ever see one of the bad amphipods you need to get it out but I have never heard nor seen a true case of amphipods eating corals (or turbos) with the hundreds if not thousands of people I have talked to in the hobby and at the lfs I work at (plus I can't find any literature on amphipods eating corals; as a matter of fact they should be eaten by the corals).
GREAT!!! I'm way happier now haha

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, about the gazillion pods on the filter sock:
Should I empty them in the tank or throw them away?

If you can empty them into the tank without emptying crud into the tank then that is fine. If you can't then that is a moral dilemma that only you can decide XD

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can empty them into the tank without emptying crud into the tank then that is fine. If you can't then that is a moral dilemma that only you can decide XD
I did emptied them into the tank and so far so good :))

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never have too many copepods. Every carnivorous fish eats them to my knowledge along with coral and other organisms, so their population will dwindle over time and as algae runs out and things eat them. If you want to keep them repopulating I suggest dosing live phytoplankton. Phyto will also feed coral, filter feeders, and I've heard tangs like it too. It will also help keep nitrates and phosphates in check as well color up coral. Just make sure it's quality nutrient depleted phyto and not some half baked stuff looking like tinted water.

Back