Huge mistake that cost me a tang and mystery wrasse!

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank was doing great until I fed my fish some frozen mysis shrimp. The morning after I found my tang dead on the sand. Then by the afternoon the mystery wrasse dead and all sps corals are doing great. I started to rack my brains, what da hell happened. Those fish had been with me for several years! Then I remembered that during the hurricane the electricity went out, the mysis shrimp was thawed and I made the mistake to keep till I decide if it’s still good. I had forgotten that I kept it and had bought new food using the new stuff until I ran out. Not realizing I opened the previously thawed food and fed the fish. That’s when I woke up to dead fish! That’s the only explanation that I can come up with why those fish died while everything else is doing good at the moment. I’m praying I won’t lose more fish! Only time will tell but they seem ok. I’m so upset that I lost those fish! So beware of feeding poor quality food like I did.. just wanted to share so somebody else won’t make that stupid mistake!

Rs951

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry for your loss, I also lost a Mystery Wrasse... It was honestly my most prized fish, not sure what caused it in my case though.. Maybe it is because im new to this reefer life.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that stinks. I have almost done the same thing on several occasions.

OP
OP
Reefs anonymous

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that there’s no way to tell if the thawed food was bad because when frozen again, there’s no rot smell. So lesson learnt. Be aware of even buying frozen food that may have thawed. Pay attention to the package for indications.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will depend on how warm it got, and for how long. I've used food that thawed briefly without adverse affect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back