Tangs are bad boys.

butcherreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a general question. I have two established tangs one large gem tang and one small yellow tang. I have been wanting to add another wrasse but the last small mystery wrasse I added months ago was killed to an injury that I could only relate to a tang. I was wondering if there is any hardy wrasse, that people have luck with them and tangs living peacefully.
I was looking at golden rhomboids but was told they are extremely shy and will most likely be stressed heavily stressed.
Another thing is I have a small possum wrasse also.
The mystery wrasse lived with no aggression towards him until he started to nip on the algae clips next to the tangs.
The tank is 105 gallons.
Fish:
Gem tang
Yellow tang
2 cardinal fish
2 clowns
1 possum wrasse
1 royal gramma

Here are some pictures of the tangs so you can have an idea for size.

IMG_9220.jpeg IMG_9223.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a general question. I have two established tangs one large gem tang and one small yellow tang. I have been wanting to add another wrasse but the last small mystery wrasse I added months ago was killed to an injury that I could only relate to a tang. I was wondering if there is any hardy wrasse, that people have luck with them and tangs living peacefully.
I was looking at golden rhomboids but was told they are extremely shy and will most likely be stressed heavily stressed.
The mystery wrasse lived with no aggression towards him until he started to nip on the algae clips next to the tangs.
The tank is 105 gallons.
Fish:
Gem tang
Yellow tang
2 cardinal fish
2 clowns
1 possum wrasse
1 royal gramma

If the tangs are that defensive around their algae then no wrasse will be suitable as eventually I’ve had all my wrasses go for algae…

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tangs are that defensive around their algae then no wrasse will be suitable as eventually I’ve had all my wrasses go for algae…
The tank is 105 gallons.
Fish:
Gem tang
Yellow tang
2 cardinal fish
2 clowns
1 possum wrasse
1 royal gramma

The tank is 105 gallons.
Fish:
Gem tang
Yellow tang
2 cardinal fish
2 clowns
1 possum wrasse
1 royal gramma

I have a very large Hippo and large Purple Tang in with a Melanurus and Red Coris Wrasse and both Wrasses hold their own. Neither are shy and both are great at finding flat worms on live rock and coral. The only problem with these wrasses are every once in a while, they like to flip corals over looking for flat worms.

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had problems in the past with Tangs and Angels being aggressive towards new fish. I took the Tangs and/or angels out (if you can catch them), put them in a five gallon bucket with heater and airstone and then introduced them back into the tank a couple of hours later. They no longer have the territory that they had and are basically considered the new comers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back