Humidifier/dehumidifier?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys anyone running a humidifier/dehumidifier? Looking to add one in the house. 1250 squarw feet and 4 tanks so the summer we see a bit more humidity throwing off the HVAC.

The AC system in my prior apartment had a built in dehumidifier function, I loved it. While it increased my power bill the actual AC run time was noticeably shorter and it was much easier to get a comfortable cool temperature indoors - I.e. avoid the “AC freeze” (whatever it’s called when it gets really cold inside and the AC keeps running because it’s trying to dry the air...). Nyc gets very sticky...

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what im trying to avoid. I have 4 tanks running upstairs in 1250 square feet. ! open top 90 reef, a 64 and a 75 fresh with glass hoods, and a 32 bio cube about to be started. My AC ran non stop last year, and im trying to get ahead of it, as it was always humid in the house. Right now isnt bad as the windows are open, and winter is good, its the blessed hot summers here in TN where i can t open the windows, and the AC struggles to keep up with that much humidity.

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a unit from Home Depot a few years back. The HVAC does a pretty good job, but summer in middle TN def calls for a dehumidifier with that much water evaporation. Since it's all upstairs, you should be able to control it without a large unit. I evaporate about a gallon a day from my 75 reef, and the dehumidifier really helped.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go through about a gallon a day as well. I guess I don't really notice my house being humid as we keep the house between 65 to 68 all summer long. I noticed previously when I was running halides but this led lighting shouldn't be a problem. I have a 150g and a 75g fresh. 65g for the reefer. Plus 2 betta bowls.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for butting in, not being a MTRC member and all;) but the thread showed up on homepage.... However a dehumidifier will certainly help with AC comfort and run-time. Humidity is one of the biggest factors to deal with, the more humidity thats in your indoor air the faster heat is absorbed from radiant heat from windows and appliances. Your evaporation rate will increase with a dehumidifier operating, so your levels of top off and additives may vary on the seasons as well. I have a stand alone model running as of now with a 70pint per day ducted model waiting to install once work slows a bit in the spring, run a HVAC Co in NC. There are lots of ducted models out there Honeywell, Aprilaire, and Envirowise are the brands I'd prefer from the service we've gotten out of them over the years. If you start looking in to the ducted models and are considering Honeywell Id get one of the older model Tru-dry 65/90/120, they recently changed their design and not thrilled with the build quality. The ducted models can be installed into your existing duct system in a number of ways that would allow you to set the desired level by a separate humidistat or some thermostats now have on board humidstats so that you can have one central control. Most of the Nest stats and some of the Honeywell Smart stats available at the big box stores have humidity sensors that can control the dehumidifier. Some stats have a dehumidification droop, this setting simply runs the cooling up to 3 degrees cooler to try and reduce the humidity, this is fine in mild summer conditions but during Mid-summer in our area many HVAC systems will struggle to keep the house comfortable when there's aquariums in the house, so the dehumidification droop doesn't do much good when it the system can't get the house to the desired set temp already. Most ducted models can be installed free standing as well with their own duct work attached- small return air grill and 1-4 outlets, dependent on model, would have to be installed (not hard to do if you built a reef system!). The ducted models would eliminate the need to dump the collection bucket and/or have another appliance taking up floor space. If you happen to be renting the home/ building then a stand alone, plug in model, is the best option. Some plug in models do have onboard pumps so that the drain can be plumbed easily to a washer drain or the like. Remember that if you're draining a dehumidifier from inside the house that the waste water makes it all the way outside the house and not dumping in the crawlspace area. In conclusion a dehumidifier would be a good addition to houses with aquariums, not only comfort but also lessen the chances of mold/ mildew issues too. Hope this helps tried to highlight a few of the main points to look at when considering moisture management inside your home.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a unit from Home Depot a few years back. The HVAC does a pretty good job, but summer in middle TN def calls for a dehumidifier with that much water evaporation. Since it's all upstairs, you should be able to control it without a large unit. I evaporate about a gallon a day from my 75 reef, and the dehumidifier really helped.
Do you know the model? We have a 90, 75 and 65 upstairs, and adding a 32. so i want to make sure i get something beefy.

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the model? We have a 90, 75 and 65 upstairs, and adding a 32. so i want to make sure i get something beefy.
I'll try to remember to check when I'm home over the weekend. It's go an auto shut-off and is adjustable, so you can set it for how dry you want it to be.

ConnieHanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys anyone running a humidifier/dehumidifier? Looking to add one in the house. 1250 squarw feet and 4 tanks so the summer we see a bit more humidity throwing off the HVAC.

We run dehumidifier we have about 700 gallons total circulation ing thru tanks and our humidity is always high we have a Frigidaire unit hangs to empty it about twice a day it’s a 2 gallon tank

ConnieHanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for butting in, not being a MTRC member and all;) but the thread showed up on homepage.... However a dehumidifier will certainly help with AC comfort and run-time. Humidity is one of the biggest factors to deal with, the more humidity thats in your indoor air the faster heat is absorbed from radiant heat from windows and appliances. Your evaporation rate will increase with a dehumidifier operating, so your levels of top off and additives may vary on the seasons as well. I have a stand alone model running as of now with a 70pint per day ducted model waiting to install once work slows a bit in the spring, run a HVAC Co in NC. There are lots of ducted models out there Honeywell, Aprilaire, and Envirowise are the brands I'd prefer from the service we've gotten out of them over the years. If you start looking in to the ducted models and are considering Honeywell Id get one of the older model Tru-dry 65/90/120, they recently changed their design and not thrilled with the build quality. The ducted models can be installed into your existing duct system in a number of ways that would allow you to set the desired level by a separate humidistat or some thermostats now have on board humidstats so that you can have one central control. Most of the Nest stats and some of the Honeywell Smart stats available at the big box stores have humidity sensors that can control the dehumidifier. Some stats have a dehumidification droop, this setting simply runs the cooling up to 3 degrees cooler to try and reduce the humidity, this is fine in mild summer conditions but during Mid-summer in our area many HVAC systems will struggle to keep the house comfortable when there's aquariums in the house, so the dehumidification droop doesn't do much good when it the system can't get the house to the desired set temp already. Most ducted models can be installed free standing as well with their own duct work attached- small return air grill and 1-4 outlets, dependent on model, would have to be installed (not hard to do if you built a reef system!). The ducted models would eliminate the need to dump the collection bucket and/or have another appliance taking up floor space. If you happen to be renting the home/ building then a stand alone, plug in model, is the best option. Some plug in models do have onboard pumps so that the drain can be plumbed easily to a washer drain or the like. Remember that if you're draining a dehumidifier from inside the house that the waste water makes it all the way outside the house and not dumping in the crawlspace area. In conclusion a dehumidifier would be a good addition to houses with aquariums, not only comfort but also lessen the chances of mold/ mildew issues too. Hope this helps tried to highlight a few of the main points to look at when considering moisture management inside your home.

Thanks for the info Adam we are going to look into this we are constantly dumping water we have a300, 2 90s a 135 and 110 plus A 100 gallon and 30 gallon stock tanks for a sump so it would be a good investment. What is a round about cost for a ducted model.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where it will have to be installed would be a big determining factor. Most we do in attics are about $2800 with the machine, labor, ducted into the existing duct, humidistat mounted in return air duct (set to 50% normally-but adjustable too), drain installed to outside and control to force the HVAC blower on when operating. Some for the same general install items maybe $3500 or $2400 space and existing duct design are a big determining factor.
On the other hand my floor model has a built in pump so that it will pump the water out itself. Most floor models have the availability of a drain line to be installed also, as long as you can get it out of the house and crawl space with natural fall. Lowe’s stores have the Hisense 70 pint models with built in pump for $279 here in NC, they also show 100 pint w/pump for $400.
With you water volume you may want two if the tanks are in separate rooms. Just in case...remember the 30/65/150....etc pint rating is the max amount per day. If you can figure about how many gallons a day you loose to evaporation that will help determine what size(s) would best suit your needs. Say you figure on average you loose 60 pints a day I would go with a 90-100ppd over the 70ppd, reason being that during the hot humid summers you have the extra for the extreme times of year.

**MAKE SURE YOUR DRAINS (AC included) GO OUT OF THE HOUSE AND CRAWLSPACE. LAST THING WE NEED ARE MOINST SOFT FLOOR JOIST WITH HUNDREDS/THOUSANDS OF POUNDS OF AQUARIUM RESTING ON THEM. Don’t know why I yelled this??!!

ConnieHanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prob cause it pretty dang important not to weaken your floor joist lol. We have reinforced these floors beyond what was needed because of tanks. Most tanks and sump are in one room we call the fish room but the 300 display is in living room all tanks are plumbed together under the house to sump

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back