HumuhumuFan's Consolidated Reef Tank

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to start a build thread for the current iteration. I decided to consolidate my 20g reef, 20g frag tank, and my 75g FOWLR into just the 75g. I travel now for work more than I used and consolidating tanks already feels like it was the right call.

I was recently in a really low morale place in the hobby. My triggerfish died in the FOWLR and that tank seemed to be cursed (everything died at 3 years) and GHA had overwhelmed my reef:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/gha-has-destroyed-my-passion-for-the-hobby.961854/

@brandon429 convinced me to Rip Clean the reef and it worked super well. As far as my cursed 75, after an ATI test showed nothing out of the ordinary. So, I emptied the tank and dumped all of my old rock and sand.

I moved my fish from the reef into a QT and my yellow tang was already in my frag tank so it wasn't that bad actually. I ordered a box of marco rock and some dry special grade sand. Then I moved over the sand and established live rock from my reef tank.

Between the two old tanks my new combined stock was:
Yellow Tang
2x Black and White Clowns
20 lbs of established live rock with 2 war coral colonies and 1 monti colonie.
1x one-armed Emerald Crab
A couple hermits and various snails.

I've since added:
1x Melanurrus Wrasse
1x Yellowtail Damsel
1x Cleaner Shrimp
6x more hermits
Several new corals (more to come on those later)

Here it is, all set up. I took the pictures with light set on cleaning mode because it was coming out too blue otherwise.

kJeZmW1.jpg

I will post more updates later.

So far the only problem I've had is my Xenia seems to have disappeared from the frag. Could it have been blown off by too much flow?

I don't like the Rossmont pumps anymore. They wouldn't work with the Hydor controller so they are both just on all time time. It was fine with the FOWLR set up but it seems to be stressing out my new GSP and possibly took out the Xenia. I'm looking into trying the CurrentUSA wave pumps since I run a CurrentUSA light and could wire them into the Loop system.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back