Hungry hungry urchins

MrsPewterschmidt

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2023
Messages
14
Reaction score
2
Location
Napa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want my pincushion urchin to get hungry but I also don’t want to over feed and I’m not sure quite how to tell. My current tank is 25 gallons, and is 7 months old there is a little algae on rocks and glass but not too much so I figured I’d have to supplement. I added my urchin last week and I feel like she’s gone through a lot of Nori, but I suppose I don’t have a frame of reference for how much she should be eating. This pic she has a shell wrapped in nori that she picks up off the floor of the tank and brings to the top to eat. I don’t think she liked sharing with the hermit crab. How much do your urchins eat?
7E224ECD-D546-4A8F-ABD5-4F2ECD1DE2F2.jpeg
 
Yea. I figure she’ll eat it if I put it in the tank. I’m just trying to figure how often. Maybe I’ll do 3x per week to start? ‍♀️.
When the seaweed ends up being untouched for a few hours it's usually an indication that you're overfeeding.
 
Those guys can eat more than you'd think. As long as it is being eaten and the nori isn't breaking down in the tank you're not overfeeding.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new