Hurricane Hilary possibly making landfall in Southern California by this weekend

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all my fellow Southern California reefers, are you guys worried about and prepared for Hurricane Hilary to possibly make landfall in Southern California for the first time since 1939? I’ve experienced a couple of hurricanes with my greatest memory being that of Hurricane Hugo in 89 as a teenager growing up in South Carolina (yes, I’m old). The Hurricane itself doesn’t really scare me as it is forecasted to become a tropical storm by the time it makes landfall. What scares me though is the possibility of extended power outages. Whatever happens though, I pray that all my fellow Southern California reefers are able to get through it with no losses to our reef tanks.

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too worried, at least for where I live in the San Fernando Valley, power is pretty stable for LA city, if I had Edison I’d be worried. At the same time I still have a generator that runs both gas and LP with multiple tanks and gallons for both. Also a rechargeable battery powered air stone. My only issue is the heat but the nice thing about this storm is that it will cool off for a few days.

hrogi-salty-guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I am riverside and expect a good strom with Rain and wind.

Lucky for me the heat is fine. I have had my heaters off for months and tanks stay at a steady 79.

If power goes out. Air stones go in.

Let hope it all hype.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electric power should be in the first point of alert if it's taken from the profile as an aquarist, for me the biggest concern after hurricane Grace a couple of years ago is the loss of electric power, without a doubt. Luckily it was only 2 days but there were many people in my area who did not have the same luck and had to wait 3 weeks or more, but the event was really catastrophic, so I hope everything continues well and normal in their areas.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We shall see... I'm in Long beach and went through the previous major blackout back in 2015 that lasted 5 days, so I'm a little bit more paranoid than most. Also we havent seen an significant event in a long time thus some simple prep reminders are good (earthquake prepardness is a must). Batteries are setup to auto switch and bubblers are with fresh batteries on both tanks. Ill be at work @ 6 a.m. till 10:30 tomorrow night, thus tanks are on their own.

Hope it isnt bad, but ya never know.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of last, Hillary is supposed to come land fall San Diego south ish. I am in South Bay area so probably get a bunch of rain and some wind. If I get an extended power outage I will pull up the generator from the garage and hook up the return pumps on the four tanks and the fridge and the internet. I just have to put everything out because if it does happen, it will be in the middle of the night.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It begins... Hopefully its much ado about nothing!

20230820_083637.jpg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing all of you the best of luck. Where I'm at in Vermont, we had some flooding in July which we were unprepared for, and it was pretty bad. A hurricane is even worse, hope all of you are safe.

hrogi-salty-guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Riverside at 3:45 pm. Just good rain full. It has gotten stronger. But nothing I am overly worried about.

But it is a lot water in dry soil. That may not do well.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, when my phone went off, I was like Yes we know there is a hurricane...
Earthquake alert! what the heck? I didn’t feel anything in South Bay.
So far just some normal rain for us. But I think ppl are going to get hit hard more inland.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back