OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the coral snow too. I use it everyday but half dose and using it since my last tank. I dose it just like that or mixed with foods and it really clears up the water column. How long you are using zeo? Mine took almost 2-3 months before I saw my NO3 to dip below 20ppm. Now, I dose NO3 ...lol. I also observed without dosing any carbon source my tank performs better and don't show cyano or dino. Now I don't even run GFO and my PO4 stays in 0.03 range. I don't even dose probiotics regularly just once after water change and once in the middle of week.

I've been using Zeo for about 2 months now. I do feed heavy but I thought 1.5l of zeostones would be enough to keep nitrates down but I guess not. I have the reactor running 24/7 as well. My dosing is as follows:

Zeostart .5ml daily
zeobak 8 drops twice a week
zeofood 6 drops twice a week
Coral snow 5ml twice a week

I'm hoping to get nutrients down so I can control what goes in more

Do you happen to have vermidth snails in ur tank? The little tubes that spit out spider mans webs? I read somewhere that coral snow is the only way to kill them and well if u don't have any I might try spray snow out there is also a thread on here on how to make ur own coral snow at about half the price that many people have said works

No vermatids here, I used to but I haven't seen any in months.

I've seen that thread too, I believe @jedimasterben came up with the formula.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Zeo for about 2 months now. I do feed heavy but I thought 1.5l of zeostones would be enough to keep nitrates down but I guess not. I have the reactor running 24/7 as well. My dosing is as follows:

Zeostart .5ml daily
zeobak 8 drops twice a week
zeofood 6 drops twice a week
Coral snow 5ml twice a week

I'm hoping to get nutrients down so I can control what goes in more

No vermatids here, I used to but I haven't seen any in months.

I've seen that thread too, I believe @jedimasterben came up with the formula.
So what ur saying is I have a chance of ridding these I'm all in now if order all the coral snow u can cause I'm a buy every store out of it

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what ur saying is I have a chance of ridding these I'm all in now if order all the coral snow u can cause I'm a buy every store out of it

I have a 500ml bottle of it. The bottles do last a good while lol

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It will take some time for you. Till then try to control feeding or nutrient a bit. I was running over 20ppm and always wonder how can I bring it down. Then after 3 months it started coming down. When it starts it come down pretty fast. I would continue the zeobak alternate day instead of twice a week. Do you have any other media other than Zeostones?

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take some time for you. Till then try to control feeding or nutrient a bit. I was running over 20ppm and always wonder how can I bring it down. Then after 3 months it started coming down. When it starts it come down pretty fast. I would continue the zeobak alternate day instead of twice a week. Do you have any other media other than Zeostones?

I run rox carbon and that's it. 3/4 cup change out about every month

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run rox carbon and that's it. 3/4 cup change out about every month
Give them some time. I run siporax with it as I don't like running too much stones as they strip the water of minerals too. Also you are suppose to change them monthly or 6 weeks so I just dont trust on them completely.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them some time. I run siporax with it as I don't like running too much stones as they strip the water of minerals too. Also you are suppose to change them monthly or 6 weeks so I just dont trust on them completely.

This weekend I will be changing out some of the stones for the first time. Ill keep monitoring my nitrates every other day to make sure they don't drop all of a sudden.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read over on the Zeovit website, flow thru the reactor is important as well. I always see that they ask for flow rate before first trying to solve any issues people are encountering.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read over on the Zeovit website, flow thru the reactor is important as well. I always see that they ask for flow rate before first trying to solve any issues people are encountering.

I agree, flow thru the reactor is very important. Right now I'm at about 90gph, so right at the brink of how fast it should be (recommended 100gph)

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, flow thru the reactor is very important. Right now I'm at about 90gph, so right at the brink of how fast it should be (recommended 100gph)

Ah ok, yeah if it's not cutting it, time to increase reactor size. I'm using the vertex 1.5L on about 70 gal total volume and I can see NO3/PO4 levels are dropping, but not quickly. I may need to increase my flow thru the reactor a bit. I don't measure my NO3/PO4, but I observe nuisance algae growth as an indicator. Had some bryopsis crop up, but it quickly died out. Couple spots of cyano, but it's fading away. LPS are growing, but now I want my SPS to start growing!

On a separate note, how many times a day do you shake up the reactor? I do it twice, but wonder if I should start doing it more often. Have you considered automating the tumbling action on the reactor?

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, yeah if it's not cutting it, time to increase reactor size. I'm using the vertex 1.5L on about 70 gal total volume and I can see NO3/PO4 levels are dropping, but not quickly. I may need to increase my flow thru the reactor a bit. I don't measure my NO3/PO4, but I observe nuisance algae growth as an indicator. Had some bryopsis crop up, but it quickly died out. Couple spots of cyano, but it's fading away. LPS are growing, but now I want my SPS to start growing!

On a separate note, how many times a day do you shake up the reactor? I do it twice, but wonder if I should start doing it more often. Have you considered automating the tumbling action on the reactor?

Sps are growing for me, but a few pieces are reacting negatively. Notably my RRC pink cadillac and setosa. Most everything else looks fine.

I shake the stones twice a day, about 7-10 seconds each time. Once the vibe comes in I'll automate the tumble to do it for me for roughly the same amount of time.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new toy in the mail today, thanks to @mdbannister ! Thanks again bro!

The Aquamaxx Coral Eye flashlight.

20170702_021708.jpg

20170702_021724.jpg

20170702_021752.jpg

20170702_021811.jpg

20170702_021829.jpg

Out of the box it feels like a nice light, it utilizes a 5w cree led which is a very nice led to use. It has 3 different settings (high, low, strobe) that you can toggle by pressing the power button. Also using the summer dial allows you to widen or narrow the light beam.

I don't have any AAA batteries on hand :( so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to play with it.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this picture with my Samsung Galaxy s6 edge+ under the reefbrites. I put a spotlight on it from the new coral eye flashlight.

So here is my latest addition
20170703_022229.jpg

Not a bad looking acan :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new toy in the mail today, thanks to @mdbannister ! Thanks again bro!

The Aquamaxx Coral Eye flashlight.
Hybird,

Have you bought some batteries yet?

Is so, Whats your feelings with the Aquamaax flash light.

(lol) My wife keeps buying my flashlights at the dollar store and (lol) their worth about a dollar :confused:
Getting frustrated with those cheap flash lights :mad:

Thanks for your incite, Freddie

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybird,

Have you bought some batteries yet?

Is so, Whats your feelings with the Aquamaax flash light.

(lol) My wife keeps buying my flashlights at the dollar store and (lol) their worth about a dollar :confused:
Getting frustrated with those cheap flash lights :mad:

Thanks for your incite, Freddie

The above pic of the acan was taken with the flashlight under reefbrites. It def helps wash out the blues when you spotlight.

These lights are decently priced so I say get one! I think Amazon sells them for around $30

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above pic of the acan was taken with the flashlight under reefbrites. It def helps wash out the blues when you spotlight.

These lights are decently priced so I say get one! I think Amazon sells them for around $30
Thank You.
That shot is amazing and I'm just tired of chaepo flashlights.

Every time that I'm trying to set the GFO tumble flow after a re-charge.
(lol)... It never fails that the cheap flashlight will not turn on. (Bank head on Wall). :D

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of been MIA the last few days, but for a good reason

21ace671b3b3144894b5876c1da0601e.jpg

Welcome to the world and R2R!

Sofia Rose is her name, born on 7-9-17

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back