HybridAZN's 180 gallon build

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been so long since I used the RC that I forgot how high the alk is. I stopped using it well over a year ago and went with seachem reef. Not as high in alk (like you I prefer 9-9.5). The seachem mixed faster and was clear. RC turned tan once mixed. I hate that. It causes me to go through a ton of socks if I don't prefilter it. I now have a 200 gallon box of reef crystals and the alk cuz too high :( Some of my corals aren't liking that as well as the higher magnesium. I miss the Seachem

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try the AF Pro Bio-S with NP Pro?
The probio was inconsistent and its parameters when I was using it and the bio S & N P Pro are quite expensive when each bottle is only a month supply. And you MUST use them if using that salt.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The probio was inconsistent and its parameters when I was using it and the bio S & N P Pro are quite expensive when each bottle is only a month supply. And you MUST use them if using that salt.
The Pro Bio-S with the NP Pro turned my reef into a cyano swamp. :eek:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been so long since I used the RC that I forgot how high the alk is. I stopped using it well over a year ago and went with seachem reef. Not as high in alk (like you I prefer 9-9.5). The seachem mixed faster and was clear. RC turned tan once mixed. I hate that. It causes me to go through a ton of socks if I don't prefilter it. I now have a 200 gallon box of reef crystals and the alk cuz too high :( Some of my corals aren't liking that as well as the higher magnesium. I miss the Seachem
I've always liked Reef Crystals but it takes more of that salt to hit the right sg and it leaves and scum build up inside my mixing jugs.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked Reef Crystals but it takes more of that salt to hit the right sg and it leaves and scum build up inside my mixing jugs.

That is honestly the main reason why I left RC salt, that brown residue was killer. Leaving my mixing containers a mess and clogging filter socks in a day, I did not enjoy that lol.

As I sit here tonight waiting for my young one to fall asleep I ponder what my tank would look like if I wouldn't have wasted those few months on zeovit and just stuck to what I'm doing now lol.

I must be missing sleep hahaha

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is honestly the main reason why I left RC salt, that brown residue was killer. Leaving my mixing containers a mess and clogging filter socks in a day, I did not enjoy that lol.

As I sit here tonight waiting for my young one to fall asleep I ponder what my tank would look like if I wouldn't have wasted those few months on zeovit and just stuck to what I'm doing now lol.

I must be missing sleep hahaha
I am stuck with the RC until this box is empty unless I can find something comparable to the Seachem. Ugh. My tank is not liking this high alk!

I feel your pain... I was replying to a question on one of my YouTube videos from before the crash and it hit me how much I lost again [emoji24] I know it could have been worse but it was really,really bad.... I wonder too.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stuck with the RC until this box is empty unless I can find something comparable to the Seachem. Ugh. My tank is not liking this high alk!

I feel your pain... I was replying to a question on one of my YouTube videos from before the crash and it hit me how much I lost again [emoji24] I know it could have been worse but it was really,really bad.... I wonder too.

I know what you mean, I stumbled across this old cell pic I took of my tank (under blues unfortunately :( ) but I miss how packed my tank was with coral

20170423_194237-01.jpeg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean, I stumbled across this old cell pic I took of my tank (under blues unfortunately :( ) but I miss how packed my tank was with coral

20170423_194237-01.jpeg
Very beautiful!!!

Well, we can't bring them back unfortunately :( But we can make the reefs even better this time ;) One reason I am making new rock. I'll be ridding it of pest corals and rearranging with a new aquascape. This way it even feels like a fresh new tank. My uv arrives tomorrow and I'm with high hopes of it doing some good as well. ... just have to find a better salt! Lol

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of the ones I was considering but tossing up between that one and coral Pro. What's the difference between them?

Blue bucket alk mixes 7.7-8.2 while pro comes in much higher, 11-12.

Pro also has elevated calcium and mag. I love the elevated mag because I never have to dose it. When I was using it consistently prior my mag was also 1350 without dosing and weekly water changes.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, so I would have to bring up the alk with the blue bucket. I also like the ca & mg of the pro... I really don't understand the point of the high alkalinity though. I mean they're making a salt for coral and they know the coral shouldn't be in that high of alkalinity. It doesn't make sense

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, so I would have to bring up the alk with the blue bucket. I also like the ca & mg of the pro... I really don't understand the point of the high alkalinity though. I mean they're making a salt for coral and they know the coral shouldn't be in that high of alkalinity. It doesn't make sense
Red Sea makes it with the high alk for their accelerated growth progam.
Ran the program for about a year and it worked but my sps were browned out while they were growing.
I did not use their colors program at that time like I do now, and was too scared to carbon dose at the 12.5 alk.

http://www.redseafish.com/red-sea-salts/coral-pro-salt/

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't deal with that super high ALK either. IO mixes not as high but higher than most and ok with me as my ALK just seems to have to be at 10-11. Also IO just works. At 99$ for 200 gallons of RSCP I would have to see some serious benefit to justify that cost. I do two 100 gallon changes a month.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Freddie said, it's for the accelerated growth program. I ran it before with great success and was able to keep alk at a stable 9.5-10 at the time with no issues. I dosed their color program twice a week as well.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful!!!

Well, we can't bring them back unfortunately :( But we can make the reefs even better this time ;) One reason I am making new rock. I'll be ridding it of pest corals and rearranging with a new aquascape. This way it even feels like a fresh new tank. My uv arrives tomorrow and I'm with high hopes of it doing some good as well. ... just have to find a better salt! Lol

What UV did you pick up? Does it have a wiper? I had to clean the quartz tube so often due to Calcium build up I sold it, 40 watt Aqua UV.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Freddie said, it's for the accelerated growth program. I ran it before with great success and was able to keep alk at a stable 9.5-10 at the time with no issues. I dosed their color program twice a week as well.
Back then I was too scared to carbon dose at that high 12.5 alk.
But I've learned from RedSeaKev (since that time) that as long as your keep your nutrients/organics up with something like Reef Energy, then you can carbon dose with NOPOX and not get burnt tips.

But... (lol) I've never tried. ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back then I was too scared to carbon dose at that high 12.5 alk.
But I've learned from RedSeaKev (since that time) that as long as your keep your nutrients/organics up with something like Reef Energy, then you can carbon dose with NOPOX and not get burnt tips.

But... (lol) I've never tried. ;Nailbiting

That is what I'll be doing again, slightly high alk, dosing nopox and energy a & b.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back