Hydra 26HD power level

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me montiporas are tricky and finicky
I had many discussions with Scott when he worked at Unique Corals about these guys.

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's their deal as far as lighting goes? Less light? Or, is it more of a light plus nutrients thing? I know that back when they were thriving in my tank, I was lazy with water changes, had a lot of algae, and my light was a diy light made with 3w cree leds.

Now that I have little algae and a hydra26HD, they are bleaching.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's their deal as far as lighting goes? Less light? Or, is it more of a light plus nutrients thing? I know that back when they were thriving in my tank, I was lazy with water changes, had a lot of algae, and my light was a diy light made with 3w cree leds.

bleaching is both light and nutrients ime.

either up the nutrients or down the lighting.
a common issue dosing nitrogen is that po4 is driven down to absolute 0.

i personally dose po4 very rarely for this reason alone.

i wouldnt suggest this kind of thing unless you are fully aware of what you are doing.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's a tough call.
Too much light for the available nutrients is what it sounds like for that specific coral.

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a tough call.
Too much light for the available nutrients is what it sounds like for that specific coral.
Agree there... I don't have very high nutrients (5ppm NO3 and 0 PO4) so I keep my Alk pretty nominal (8.5 dKH) and the lights pretty low I suppose as well.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1467645801.463608.jpg

I have quite a number of montis and they all do really well.

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I forgot about nitrates pushing down phosphates. That may be why I don't see any. I'll see how rhe frozen food does the tank. I don't rinse, just toss a piece of cube in there. Just made the switch yesterday, so maybe I'll see some results in a few days. I'll hold my tank lights at 35 watts peak and see how things behave with the added nutrients.

Redseamax650led

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Russ,
Which light are you using?

What I'm really getting at with this thread is how much wattage should I be working towards. My acros look happy, but montiporas are losing color. Not sure if it's too much light or too little nutrients. My nitrates are around 5ppm but phosphates,according to Hanna, are 0. Montiporas are fading out, even on the bottom and off to the side, while acros are coloring up and encrusting.

Matt
hanna phosphate test has two types, the low and high range... use low range, it reads from 0.00 to 4.00, the high range reads 0-20 i think.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two Hydra TwentySix HD LED's on my mixed reef 120 specs being the following 48''x24''x24'' and currently have my 2 fixtures mounted 10'' above the water line.
Scroll all the way down to see where I keep my settings at. I run them with a 2hr ramp up and 2 hr ramp down w/ my Royal Blue & Violet @ 1% for my moonlights lights from 11:00 pm till 8 am, then they are totally off until ramp up time which starts @ 2 pm. Last but not least, I am going to be adding a Reefbrite 50/50 Lumi Lite Strip LED across the front of my tank to add some extra pop.

Tank Info:
120 display
Ecotech M1 pump
Apex Classic
Apex ALD Module w/ 2 Leak Detector probes
Apex PM2 Module w/ Salinity Probe
Apex BreakOut box
Skimz 163 DC Montzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge
2 TUNZE Turbella 6055 Pumps
AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED's
Maxspect Refuge Spotlight C35W
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media Reactor
Eshoops IV Master & Slave Doser
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off
BRS Peri Pump 50mls/pm
Avast Kalk Reactor

full tank shot.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 6.56.35 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been away for awhile after hurricane hermine crashed my tank. Back for a reboot!

Anyways, still trying to figure this light out. When I see these PAR charts, are they assuming maximum output? All channels on over drive? If so, ick. I'm running the ab+ schedule now, which is blues at 90% and the rest at 35%. Wonder what PAR that would be? From the charts, this light is pretty weak as far as PAR goes.

Willragan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 30 gallon shallow frag tank acro heavy I have 26hd hanging about 15" above water and white uv and violet maxing at 35 green and red at 25 and both blues maxing at 55 percent. This gives a wattage of about 45 when maxed if my memory serves. Just bought par meter and have not checked it yet but will post readings later.

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 30 gallon shallow frag tank acro heavy I have 26hd hanging about 15" above water and white uv and violet maxing at 35 green and red at 25 and both blues maxing at 55 percent. This gives a wattage of about 45 when maxed if my memory serves. Just bought par meter and have not checked it yet but will post readings later.

I'm especially interested in your par readings. How are your acroporas doing? I'm surprised you just need one light for a 30g and you have it 15" awl.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my update Light Sch for my pair of Hydra Twenty Six HD LED's. Keeping all Acros and Monit's about 8'' -10'' from the water line and my light sit about another 8'' from the water and my SPS corals are doing great! My Ramp up time is 1hr and a half starting at 1:00 pm and ramp down time start's @ 9:30 PM. Also, I just grabbed a Neptune DOS system for Automatated water changes only. I have it setup to take out 1.5 gallons of OSW and replace it with 1.5 gallons NSW at the same time every day from 00.00 till 18:00. So my water is constantly doing tiny water changes which are super healthy for your tank and corals.

Acropora-sps.JPG

CLOSEUP OF SPS.JPG

Green - Stylopohora .jpeg

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 10.41.29 AM.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back