Hydra 26hd vs Reefbreeders photon 48v2 pro

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i currently have 2 hydra 26hds over my my mixed 120g reef. I like the color of the hydras but seems like the spread amd growth of the corals with the 26s is not enough. I see the photon v2 pros claim to have great spread. Would this be worth upgrading to the photon 48v2 pro?m
@reefbreeders

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have serious doubts that your issues with growth of your coral is due to your lights.

That said, I have been a huge fan of the Reef Breeder Photons for years... through several generations. They are still the best value in a high end light with multiple channel scheduling and they are very well built.

On the flip side, I just down sized to two 40g aio tanks. One has a Photon light fixture and the other has a off brand, no timer, only blue and white knobs to set intensity. Both tanks seem to be growing corals and anemones equally well.

It's just my opinion, but I think you need to look at other possible issues.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photon and the hydra have near identical diodes if you compare channel per channel. The photon does not have amazing spread. It’s actually pretty tight and downward unless you mount them 18-24” off the water. What gives them the illusion of spread is the fact that the diodes are all so widely spaced out rather than in tight pucks. I use two photon 50’s on my 60” x24” x24” tank and still have some pretty hard shadows

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back