Hydra 32HD or Reefbreeders Photon V2+ 16?????

Retired Reefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2020
Messages
372
Reaction score
460
Location
North Carolina
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im setting up a 24x18x18 reef octo t60 tank. Will keep a mixed reef in this little guy. BRS recommended the Hydras but my gut is telling me the Photon. PLease help!! Also, would the Photon V2+ 24 be too much light?

Thanks for the help!!
 
I would consider the V2. They can produce a lot of light with a better spread. I have the hydra and use t5 to get enough par
 
Let us know what you think of it.
Will do. I can tell you that the programming was super easy with the remote. Customer service is also top notch at Reef Breeders. They answer all my questions, sent me spreadsheets of lighting cycles by channel by hour in terms of intensity and color. That’s why I bought their ATO and Wavemaker as well. Great products so far. Onlay had water for 24 hours but once I’m cycled and running I’ll rent a par meter and test

33C0324B-F358-4A3C-9B28-CE57E1B0EC3A.jpeg
 
Following a long. Do you mind sharing the lighting schedule and cycles?

Any feedback on the par?
 
This is my lighting schedule. The Photon is a par machine. I added a Reefbreeders lumen bar to mine as well. At the settings below I’m hitting 350-400 par on the top of the rocks, 250-350 mid level and 150-250 on the sand bed.

8B2FC4FC-120F-42CF-B941-1FF361A26285.png C5AC7E0C-1528-4504-A370-57A16E14CD2C.png
 
That’s an old pic but it’s still high. I changed to the back of tank mount they sell instead of the legs it comes with. It’s 10.5” above the water
 
What mount are you using?

The mount they sell on the Reefbreeders site. It comes with hanging brackets and legs but they sell a rear mount and I bought that.

Does the fixture fit well within your 24”?
What is your acclimation schedule?

It does well with spread. I added a Lumenbar Led Strip they sell to the back to increase par on my back wall to add montis to the glass. I can grow sps on the sand bed with this light
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new