Hydra 52 light settings

kuruptko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 ft 150 gallon reef tank with three Hydra 52s trying to find the best settings to get the best light
20180622_211128.jpeg
20171231_121522.jpeg

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Best” is a loaded word. Best growth? Best color? Best look to your eye? Best at not causing all types of algae?

Adam from Battlecorals @Battlecorals has some great posts on this. His point is that corals have adapted to live in all kinds of conditions and light intensities. They are really good at thriving under any conditions, they just can’t handle variation.

You can keep them under all kinds of spectrums and intensities, just pick one and stay with that one. If you change it all the time you’re likely to kill them. Make changes and wait a few months to see what the results are (yes months). If you aren’t happy make some subtle changes and keep moving, again waiting months to see how it works.

I think the issues people have, and again this is one of his points as well, is that people change their settings constantly trying to squeeze that extra bit of “horsepower” out of the corals.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. What you’re looking for doesn’t exist. What’s the best vegetable, the best fruit, the best car?

If your goal is crazy growth get some metal halide bulbs and call it a day. You will 100% have great growth.

OP
OP
kuruptko

kuruptko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. What you’re looking for doesn’t exist. What’s the best vegetable, the best fruit, the best car?

If your goal is crazy growth get some metal halide bulbs and call it a day. You will 100% have great growth.
Right on thanks for the input...im looking at adding a t5 hybrid to go with my 52s

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you Link these are my latest and greatest. I found after I adjust the reds and greens up to where the are now, My Zoa's a growning. The link is my setting that one can download and upload to your lights to try. I would do a three week acclimation cycle.

AI Setting 8-26-18.PNG

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ai site profiles a whole bunch of tanks (and gives their settings) that are having great results. BRS also has a thread for the popular AB+ Settings translated for hydras.

The key here is picking one and leaving it alone.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back