Hydra 64 HD LED Reef Light VS AP9X LED Lighting

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Refers,

I am in the market of getting a new light for my Aquarium. I currently have a Kessil A160WE I want to upgrade to a better light. But so many choices out there. The most common i have found are these two that seem like they are great lights with a variety of different LEDS and able to control each spectrum. Your input is greatly appreciated. Pros and Cons of your experience of having these lights. I am aware that the AP9X just came out not too long ago.
I don't think that my current light has enough umph to make my coral grow. they are just there but I haven't seen any growth on them.Your Help is Greatly appreciated!

TyHiggin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Refers,

I am in the market of getting a new light for my Aquarium. I currently have a Kessil A160WE I want to upgrade to a better light. But so many choices out there. The most common i have found are these two that seem like they are great lights with a variety of different LEDS and able to control each spectrum. Your input is greatly appreciated. Pros and Cons of your experience of having these lights. I am aware that the AP9X just came out not too long ago.
I don't think that my current light has enough umph to make my coral grow. they are just there but I haven't seen any growth on them.Your Help is Greatly appreciated!
Hi! I have the AP700 and love it! I lucked out and bought used from a local reefer for $400 back in January, I too was looking to upgrade my 'starter' led light strips on my three month old reef tank. I started collecting SPS and knew they needed more light. I have a 45 gal JBJ AIO. In my (re)search it seemed like the Radions and AI were the 'LED of choice' by most of the community but I was open to others and focused on my goals- a mixed reef (heavier on SPS), controllable lighting, something low profile and sleek and really only wanted one light to cover my tank with option of being able to use the same light on a bigger 48" tank if I upgraded later. I began gravitating to Kessils before I found the deal on my local For Sale thread because everyone said the shimmer from Kessils were unmatched without going MH. I also liked the idea of the Kessils having all their LEDs on one panel for better color blending. The AP700/AP9X basically is two A360X on one form facotr. When this AP700 came up on my local thread I jumped on it and have never regretted it. The improvement was better than I expected. I ramp up to 70% mid day for 5hrs 8" above the water on a 27" wide and 18" to the sand bed tank. I am getting 300-340 Par on the top middle third row of corals 6" below the water surface and 220-230 on the sand bed in the front corners. I was having trouble getting the SPS to color up to their best before adding this light. I saw an improvement with colors in two months. Three months after having the AP700 I added two 24" Reefbrite XHO Actinics (another deal I found on local For Sale thread for $175). I ramp these up to 70% along with the AP700. Don't ask why but I felt like my system spectrum would benefit. I haven't retested the Par levels yet but everything looks a bit more balanced and im noticing a jump in growth similar to the jump in coloration I experienced with just the AP700. Ironically, BRS just released a couple videos (one a BRS investigates on Reef Brite Lumi Lite bars and one BRS Talks on platinum standard) a few days ago talking about the next step in reef lighting and could the 'gold standard' (T5 HO bulbs) be improved upon and a "platinum standard' be established. Well guess what they discovered? Kessil still has the best spectrum and shimmer (you cant go wrong with the other top leading lights) combine this with reef brite actinic bars and they outperform the previous 'gold standard' light setup in spectrum, par and cost. BRS has crowned a Platinum Standard lighting setup. Im itching for the A9X cause its so sleek but my current system is perfect for me right now. However, the next tank will have the AP9X and a set of Reef Brite XHO Actinics as well. May even pay full price ;-)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 66 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 60 27.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 45 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 44 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back