Hydra32 over Nuvo 10 overkill?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post so I'll give a little back ground info before asking my question. I have been out of the hobby over 10 years and looking to get back in to it again. I had mostly Montis, Birdsnest and Euphillyia back in the day. I have a spot in house where an IM Nuvo 10 would fit perfect. I want to make it an SPS dominated tank and if I'm succesfull with Montipora I want to make the jump to Acroporas.

So I'm not too familiar with LEDs but have seen videos of Acro dominated tanks with LED lighting. I was looking at the Hydra 32 HD for the Nuvo 10. Would that be a good choice or will the 16 prime be good enough for a Acropora and Montipora dominated 10 gallon? If neither of those would be a good choice what's a better one?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the Hydra. I kept a NUVO 10 with a Prime and had Montipora doing well and Acropora growing very slowly right under the light. I had it 4 inches off the water to get enough power.

I dont think a Prime will cut it for wall to wall SPS. It would work for a mixed reef with some careful placement. I had LPS doing well doing on the bottom with this setup.

PS- Welcome to R2R! Throw up an intro in the meet and greet and do a build thread when you start putting it all together....

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the more planning I do I'm leaning more towards the nuvo 20. Will the Hydra 32 still be enough coverage for that tank?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strong enough but possibly some fall off/shadowing at the ends of an almost 2' wide tank. In that case you may be better off with two Primes spread out a bit further than the Hydras two pucks...

Cannedfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Prime HD’s over a Nuvo 10, and love it. I like the ability to aim the individual pucks to prevent shadowing.

You can see the lights mounted below.
1586546903985.png

Last edited:

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strong enough but possibly some fall off/shadowing at the ends of an almost 2' wide tank. In that case you may be better off with two Primes spread out a bit further than the Hydras two pucks...
This, for sure.

One suggestion to OP: have you looked at the waterbox 20? I've had the Innovative Marine 20, the IM Peninsula 20 and the Waterbox 20 and the last one was my favorite.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, for sure.

One suggestion to OP: have you looked at the waterbox 20? I've had the Innovative Marine 20, the IM Peninsula 20 and the Waterbox 20 and the last one was my favorite.

I have not but will now. What about thre Waterbox 20 do you like better?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not but will now. What about thre Waterbox 20 do you like better?
I liked that it seems like a huge cube but it’s only 20 gallons. The only negative is that it doesn’t come with a lid so i has to order one.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back