Hydrogen peroxide accident

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , today I was doing a water change on 30 cube with coral and 3 clownfish. All pumps were off at time as I was in process of draining water. Peroxide bottle was sitting on glass top as I was dipping some zoas from another tank. Well cap was not closed all the way and drain hose must of bumped bottle as when I came back from dumping trash water I noticed it floating at back glass. Anyway I removed it and continued on refilling with new water and turned return pump and wavemaker back on. Everything seemed fine until I came back to feed hours later and found all 3 clownfish dead. Would the peroxide of been the culprit to there death. All corals and cuc seem fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated in what I should do. I would do another water change but have none made . Thanks CJ

OP
OP
T

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of refilling RO/DI reservoir. Been a really screwed up month. Thanks for the reply

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your clowns. Information provided points to the H2O2. I’d consider 30 mL to be a high dose for a tank that size, and I’m guessing more than that got in.
Having said that, I’ve dosed 1 mL/ gallon as spot treatments before and there were clearly bubbles everywhere, even a while after the circulation pumps were running. I’ve never tried dosing that much to the water column, but I’m surprised there weren’t visual indications of there being a lot in there.
As a note to others considering that level of spot treating, ease up to that. Zoas and such take it well but it’s really hard on chalices and a few other things even if they aren’t nearby.

OP
OP
T

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. My own stupidity trying to get to many things done in a hurry. Lesson learned for sure .

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this happens to somebody else: Hydrogen peroxide has a very short time in a salt water tank.
After a few hours it is gone. Of course water change is always good if animals have died.
In my experience shrimps and worms are the most sensitive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back