Hydrogen peroxide accident

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , today I was doing a water change on 30 cube with coral and 3 clownfish. All pumps were off at time as I was in process of draining water. Peroxide bottle was sitting on glass top as I was dipping some zoas from another tank. Well cap was not closed all the way and drain hose must of bumped bottle as when I came back from dumping trash water I noticed it floating at back glass. Anyway I removed it and continued on refilling with new water and turned return pump and wavemaker back on. Everything seemed fine until I came back to feed hours later and found all 3 clownfish dead. Would the peroxide of been the culprit to there death. All corals and cuc seem fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated in what I should do. I would do another water change but have none made . Thanks CJ

OP
OP
T

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of refilling RO/DI reservoir. Been a really screwed up month. Thanks for the reply

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your clowns. Information provided points to the H2O2. I’d consider 30 mL to be a high dose for a tank that size, and I’m guessing more than that got in.
Having said that, I’ve dosed 1 mL/ gallon as spot treatments before and there were clearly bubbles everywhere, even a while after the circulation pumps were running. I’ve never tried dosing that much to the water column, but I’m surprised there weren’t visual indications of there being a lot in there.
As a note to others considering that level of spot treating, ease up to that. Zoas and such take it well but it’s really hard on chalices and a few other things even if they aren’t nearby.

OP
OP
T

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. My own stupidity trying to get to many things done in a hurry. Lesson learned for sure .

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this happens to somebody else: Hydrogen peroxide has a very short time in a salt water tank.
After a few hours it is gone. Of course water change is always good if animals have died.
In my experience shrimps and worms are the most sensitive.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.0%
Back