hydrogen peroxide dosing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone wants to find an easy way to eliminate algae problems, but I'm just not convinced this is the way. I personally wouldn't just dump hydrogen peroxide into an operating reef tank to deal with algae.

First, I just don't think it is reasonable to expect that the only thing it kills is algae, and not any other living organism, from bacteria to corals.

Second, it does nothing for the root problem, which is typically excessive nutrients (or possibly lack of herbivores).

I'd be much more inclined to treat a rock outside the tank, if that is the way you want to go.

That said, it can work if you are careful about dosing the tank, and don't get the concentration too high on delicate organisms.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing but good things to say about spot treating breakouts in my tank with peroxide. No coral or clam loss, heck nothing even looks irritated after spot treating a few ml even right at some acro's base. I only need to do it once every few months now for stubborn bryopsis that still comes back in some nooks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing but good things to say about spot treating breakouts in my tank with peroxide. No coral or clam loss, heck nothing even looks irritated after spot treating a few ml even right at some acro's base. I only need to do it once every few months now for stubborn bryopsis that still comes back in some nooks.

Since bryposis is an especially difficult to remove algae, I think that a spot treatment with hydrogen peroxide may be among the better options. :)

OP
OP
jdmLuzon

jdmLuzon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

so you spot feed them? is it not advisable to just dump it in your tank?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot treat the algae with peroxide using a 10ml pipette. Turn off all the pumps and slowly release the peroxide. The algae bubbles pretty well, after 5 or 10 min pumps go back on. I wouldn't treat the whole tank, I prefer to try and localize the peroxide where possible.

This is just what I do.

OP
OP
jdmLuzon

jdmLuzon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot treat the algae with peroxide using a 10ml pipette. Turn off all the pumps and slowly release the peroxide. The algae bubbles pretty well, after 5 or 10 min pumps go back on. I wouldn't treat the whole tank, I prefer to try and localize the peroxide where possible.

This is just what I do.

thank you thats what i will do.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use it for minor issues. I had dinos and still really didn't want to do it. At a point alot of my corals were closing do to the dinos. So at that point everything was being smothered anyways so really didn't have much to lose. So I went for it. It worked well and my dinos are gone. A friend and I both lost a fish right after dosing peroxide coinsinadence maybe but could had something to do with it. Zoas will close up right after dosing

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since bryposis is an especially difficult to remove algae, I think that a spot treatment with hydrogen peroxide may be among the better options. :)

Randy gave me a smiley face. That is going on my reefkeeping resume.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard Hydrogen Peroxide Will Kill SPS.

Is this True?

I do not think we should be telling people to Dose their Tanks with something and not explaining any possible consequences like killing SPS if that is indeed true.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard Hydrogen Peroxide Will Kill SPS.

Is this True?

I do not think we should be telling people to Dose their Tanks with something and not explaining any possible consequences like killing SPS if that is indeed true.

Hydrogen peroxide will kill anything (including you) if the concentration is high enough.

3% hydrogen peroxide (in water) added directly to corals and other creatures we keep can kill them.

So generally, one would want to dilute it first.

Spot treatment with 3% can work, assuming the 3% gets well diluted before is spreads elsewhere in the tank onto delicate organisms. :)

Some people treat the whole tank at 1 mL of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons of tank water. I cannot vouch that that level is safe for every creature we keep, however, since, as I mentioned above, the idea that it only kills algae seems implausible to me.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know everyone wants to find an easy way to eliminate algae problems, but I'm just not convinced this is the way. I personally wouldn't just dump hydrogen peroxide into an operating reef tank to deal with algae.

First, I just don't think it is reasonable to expect that the only thing it kills is algae, and not any other living organism, from bacteria to corals.

Second, it does nothing for the root problem, which is typically excessive nutrients (or possibly lack of herbivores).

I'd be much more inclined to treat a rock outside the tank, if that is the way you want to go.

That said, it can work if you are careful about dosing the tank, and don't get the concentration too high on delicate organisms.

Kind of reminds me of when someone was selling Potassium permanganate to the reef market along time ago...

I agree and highlighted whats real important in your statement..

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of reminds me of when someone was selling Potassium permanganate to the reef market along time ago...

I agree and highlighted whats real important in your statement..

There was a movement 10-15 yrs ago to use PP in Goldfish and Koi ponds in an attempt the knock down the buildup of organic waste. I used it off and on at a low dosage and it worked with no observable harm to any of my livestock.

I do admit that I BRIEFLY considered trying it on my reef, but quickly came to the conclusion that it was too risky. OTOH, it would have given the tank a cool purple tinge.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%

Back