Hydrogen Peroxide Dosing

House_of_Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody,

I’ve read before that oxygenation plays a role in coral growth. It seemed to have a positive impact at normal levels but reacted negatively at higher concentrations. I always assumed this to be the case with long term dosing. It most likely over-saturates the water and chokes out micro algae but over time can affect the zooxanthellae as well.

I’d like to know:

Would dosing over the counter 3% hydrogen peroxide help to achieve a better balance (assuming it is not 100%) in water oxidation?

What devices/techniques can be used to measure the saturation? I know there’s ORP probes but I am not sure how that equates to saturation.

Could the same results be achieved with water flow and/or a bubble skimmer?

For those who keep macro algae/algae scrubbers how can you tell the oxygen produced by the plants is/isn’t producing excess oxygen? You hear all the time that these are supper effective at pulling out nutrients but do they expel too much oxygen in their anaerobic process?

Just some shower thoughts.
Let me know what you think!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello Everybody,

I’ve read before that oxygenation plays a role in coral growth. It seemed to have a positive impact at normal levels but reacted negatively at higher concentrations. I always assumed this to be the case with long term dosing. It most likely over-saturates the water and chokes out micro algae but over time can affect the zooxanthellae as well.

I’d like to know:

Would dosing over the counter 3% hydrogen peroxide help to achieve a better balance (assuming it is not 100%) in water oxidation?

What devices/techniques can be used to measure the saturation? I know there’s ORP probes but I am not sure how that equates to saturation.

For those who keep macro algae/algae scrubbers how can you tell the oxygen produced by the plants is/isn’t producing excess oxygen? You hear all the time that these are supper effective at pulling out nutrients but do they expel too much oxygen in their anaerobic process?

Be careful what you read
Peroxide can be a great dip and bath but can be ineffective and cause issues as it’s an oxidizer and not a treatment- rarely used in clinics anymore

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s some old school stuff out there mostly used in freshwater. I have a couple, thinking about trying them again to see if there’s any benefit.

OP
OP
H

House_of_Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful what you read
Peroxide can be a great dip and bath but can be ineffective and cause issues as it’s an oxidizer and not a treatment- rarely used in clinics anymore
Be careful what you read
Peroxide can be a great dip and bath but can be ineffective and cause issues as it’s an oxidizer and not a treatment- rarely used in clinics anymor
It was an article in a science magazine. I can’t find the exact one I read but this maybe it under a different site.

I vaguely understand the chemistry of it but it all seems to make sense. They didn’t use peroxide in their experiments but imagine it boils down to the same thing.

OP
OP
H

House_of_Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s some old school stuff out there mostly used in freshwater. I have a couple, thinking about trying them again to see if there’s any benefit.

I saw this before and wondered how it would work! There was something about it, like it only released pure oxygen by some process I don’t recall.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this before and wondered how it would work! There was something about it, like it only released pure oxygen by some process I don’t recall.
Yeah, it explains it if you click on the link. It uses a catalyst to cause a chemical reaction generating pure O2 and H2O

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody,

I’d like to know:

I would not associate any of the effects of hydrogen peroxide to changes in O2.

O2 may well be something we do not want getting too low at night, and skimmers and other methods can help reduce the drop.

I’m not aware of any evidence that O2 gets too high in normal reef tanks.

OP
OP
H

House_of_Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not associate any of the effects of hydrogen peroxide to changes in O2.

O2 may well be something we do not want getting too low at night, and skimmers and other methods can help reduce the drop.

I’m not aware of any evidence that O2 gets too high in normal reef tanks.
Is there a calculable correlation between ORP and saturation?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It was an article in a science magazine. I can’t find the exact one I read but this maybe it under a different site.

I vaguely understand the chemistry of it but it all seems to make sense. They didn’t use peroxide in their experiments but imagine it boils down to the same thing.
Substituting oxygen with peroxide and from a study 10-14 years ago raises question on my behalf especially without ability to properly measure the drop and risk of getting too low

OP
OP
H

House_of_Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Substituting oxygen with peroxide and from a study 10-14 years ago raises question on my behalf especially without ability to properly measure the drop and risk of getting too low
Agreed. I don’t know enough on how the chemistry works or even how to test it accurately. I’d be more afraid of raising the oxygen level too high (I assume that’s what you meant too). However, I am interested in the topic and I am curious to know how it would all work, if possible. I’ve heard of people wanting to dose oxygen to tanks much like how planted tanks get dosed with Co2. The costs would be much too high but if you swapped out the oxygen tank for a little brown bottle of peroxide, that might work! This is all theoretical hobbyist level thoughts though. In the article I posted, it says there was a 170%+ increase in growth. That was at 100% saturation. That sounds too good to be true! If that was at all possible with substituting peroxide, that’d be a game changer.
As of right now, I have no idea of what the oxygen level is in any of my tanks. I figured testing that is priority #1. For all I know the corals themselves produce more than enough oxygen

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I don’t know enough on how the chemistry works or even how to test it accurately. I’d be more afraid of raising the oxygen level too high (I assume that’s what you meant too). However, I am interested in the topic and I am curious to know how it would all work, if possible. I’ve heard of people wanting to dose oxygen to tanks much like how planted tanks get dosed with Co2. The costs would be much too high but if you swapped out the oxygen tank for a little brown bottle of peroxide, that might work! This is all theoretical hobbyist level thoughts though. In the article I posted, it says there was a 170%+ increase in growth. That was at 100% saturation. That sounds too good to be true! If that was at all possible with substituting peroxide, that’d be a game changer.
As of right now, I have no idea of what the oxygen level is in any of my tanks. I figured testing that is priority #1. For all I know the corals themselves produce more than enough oxygen

Here is some reliable reading on O2 in reef tanks, if that is what you want:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many reef tanks are at or above 100% O2 saturation during the daytime due to photosynthesis.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back