Hydrored's 300 Glass Cages Build

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Purples are total jerks. Sadly, I can't offer any other help other than that.

If you follow Parker's Reef on YouTube, his went total devil murdering stuff just recently after months of peace.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also went tenuis shopping, here are just a few-

28BF82E9-08A4-48B6-BCD6-1EDB127DB231.jpeg
6BF09484-AD7C-4A99-889C-13FFF692C58D.jpeg
16795D73-A070-436C-A4F5-FDAF65C03B7C.jpeg
F4E20A87-2C27-4170-A660-16A69AF115CC.jpeg
5315EFAB-6BC0-4D59-BD3D-1F3EFD3CF97D.jpeg

No filter, still running 14k

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand it the box?

I only have a large hang on that doesn’t work. I was thinking of using some Tunze magnets.

Either way I have time to try and figure it out as I have my main frag tank with a kole and now my smaller frag tank rolling along

The second that gem went it it was all out chaos

I had the box made locally. It was a friend of a friend building a box type of thing. I have a eurobrace so the hang ons don't work, I don't trust the suction cups, and I wanted a larger box to accommodate tangs or larger fish if necessary. I have 3/4 " glass so the magnets were the most expensive part of the deal. How thick is your glass?

Purples are total jerks. Sadly, I can't offer any other help other than that.

If you follow Parker's Reef on YouTube, his went total devil murdering stuff just recently after months of peace.

They all can be jerks, but I agree the purples tend to be the most aggressive in my experience. Here's my yellow going psycho with gem after coexisting for a year. The gem fully recovered and I had to rehome the yellow that had been with me for six years.

1649443190293.png

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the box made locally. It was a friend of a friend building a box type of thing. I have a eurobrace so the hang ons don't work, I don't trust the suction cups, and I wanted a larger box to accommodate tangs or larger fish if necessary. I have 3/4 " glass so the magnets were the most expensive part of the deal. How thick is your glass?

They all can be jerks, but I agree the purples tend to be the most aggressive in my experience. Here's my yellow going psycho with gem after coexisting for a year. The gem fully recovered and I had to rehome the yellow that had been with me for six years.

1649443190293.png

3/4” eurobraced

I remember that ordeal that’s why I tagged you sadly enough.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you, I don't care for the fish. I'd much rather have the corals. I too had a yellow tang, a nasty fish I have never bought one since. Now my purple tang is not as aggressive, but I can tell he has been fighting with someone. Every once in a while he will have torn fins. But they usually heal up in a day. I found the thing that works the best is overfeeding, but yes you are right it causes problems with nutrients.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This skimmer is a beast. Silent and very effective.

How are things going with the purple and gem?

Gem is unfortunately still living in my frag tank, It is just so timid and has no interest in pushing back or holding its ground at all.

Fish is a sweet heart and loves people, eats out of my hand, it’s just soft lol

I will have to find it a new home or figure out how to get the purple out as my frag tank is only 33 gallons, not a great place for a tang. I bought a large acclimation box to see if that helps.

I think I will never do mirrors again, actually ticked off every fish in my tank, was like wrestle mania.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have thoughts of going without filter socks long term? I have been going without for about a week and have noticed colors getting better along with better polyp extension. This tank eats nitrates like I’ve never seen, phosphates on the other hand it has yet to figure out.

I just think with my sump packed full of live rock, filter socks, and skimmer I’m starving the coral. Every time they start to lighten up I test nitrates and they are back to 1.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone have thoughts of going without filter socks long term? I have been going without for about a week and have noticed colors getting better along with better polyp extension. This tank eats nitrates like I’ve never seen, phosphates on the other hand it has yet to figure out.

I just think with my sump packed full of live rock, filter socks, and skimmer I’m starving the coral. Every time they start to lighten up I test nitrates and they are back to 1.

My 120 has never run filter socks full time. I think I've used them twice to help polish up any messes I've made.

I've actually never run filter socks on any of my tanks. I've done floss but that tank had no skimmer, no fuge, nothing. It was a JBJ Nanocube. Ran floss, carbon, and weekly water changes. Little tank was indestructible.

I am running a filter roller on the new 250 though. I undersized my skimmer by almost half and have an ATS on standby if I can figure out where to squeeze it in

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 has never run filter socks full time. I think I've used them twice to help polish up any messes I've made.

I've actually never run filter socks on any of my tanks. I've done floss but that tank had no skimmer, no fuge, nothing. It was a JBJ Nanocube. Ran floss, carbon, and weekly water changes. Little tank was indestructible.

I am running a filter roller on the new 250 though. I undersized my skimmer by almost half and have an ATS on standby if I can figure out where to squeeze it in

Thanks, I’ll keep it going for awhile longer and see if the nutrients settle out. How bad did your sump get and how often did you have to clean it out?

My fear is my middle large chamber packed with live rock and a bit of sand will become a massive detritus trap.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks, I’ll keep it going for awhile longer and see if the nutrients settle out. How bad did your sump get and how often did you have to clean it out?

My fear is my middle large chamber packed with live rock and a bit of sand will become a massive detritus trap.

The sump gets gross. I've drained and vacuumed it once in 2.5 years. Probably needs it more but I'm lazy and nutrients aren't high. I'm running a low fish load at the moment too so that plays a part

Back