OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got out of the house for a bit today, wife had her new car come in so we went and grabbed that. Stopped by the good old pawn shop and found a Cannon EOS RP with lens BNIB, I offered them 900.00 cash and accepted. So I have no clue about photography, I get to try and figure out how to take a picture. When I say I have no clue, I haven’t used a camera since they had the disposable ones that you had to drop off after use for development.

I figured with saving 400 I could buy an OK macro lense

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got out of the house for a bit today, wife had her new car come in so we went and grabbed that. Stopped by the good old pawn shop and found a Cannon EOS RP with lens BNIB, I offered them 900.00 cash and accepted. So I have no clue about photography, I get to try and figure out how to take a picture. When I say I have no clue, I haven’t used a camera since they had the disposable ones that you had to drop off after use for development.

I figured with saving 400 I could buy an OK macro lense
Something else to learn.

Will trade you tank photo tips for flying survival tips.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else to learn.

Will trade you tank photo tips for flying survival tips.

Deal-

1. always have headphones in even when actually not listening to anything at all. This includes sitting at the bar in airport (Unless of course you want to have random conversations)

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was supposed to receive my Blonde Naso, Gem Tang, Midas Blenny, and a couple other fish today from Dr. Reef. Let’s just say I must have the worse luck with fish suppliers because I’ve had nothing but terrible experiences with all of them. Was excited to receive the gem tang and naso just for the gem tang to be a blemished one and the Naso never showing up.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-ways-to-contact-dr-reef.841174/post-10057692

These companies take so much enjoyment out of the hobby, I wish I had time to quarantine all of my own fish again, I just got a promotion and will now have even less time. Honestly, I have been thinking about leaving it all together.

Maybe finding a hobbyist that’s willing to get paid to service my tank at this point, I don’t trust any of these service companies either, sadly
Sadly the Gem Tang was dead this morning-

D9EE70A5-D7B2-4B22-AACF-219FA685C8D4.jpeg

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @sdreef

Yes the others look fine, the base of the coral itself also looks healthy. I’ll give it a dip, it hasn’t gotten any worse or any better. I had a pretty substantial phosphate spike so that may have something to do with it.

I like the Aquaforest salt and corals all respond to it when doing a water change, I will say it does not mix ultra clear and does leave a residue. I still have another 800 gallons worth of the salt so I’ll at least use it through then. I still like Tropic Marin salt the best but I’m still am holding a grudge.

I went ahead and dipped it and nothing but some pods, star fish, and brittles came off of it and it slimed like crazy. I put the dish on a white piece of paper and used a magnifying glass. If there are AEFW I couldn’t find them?

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and dipped it and nothing but some pods, star fish, and brittles came off of it and it slimed like crazy. I put the dish on a white piece of paper and used a magnifying glass. If there are AEFW I couldn’t find them?

They're usually not that subtle. You can see them with the naked eye most of the time if they're established. When they first hatch I suppose they're pretty small, but they grow quickly and reach maturity in about a month. They are pale brown / tan color and sort of just peel off. That's good that you didn't find any and worthwhile to rule out. Hopefully, the yellow tip bounces back.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're usually not that subtle. You can see them with the naked eye most of the time if they're established. When they first hatch I suppose they're pretty small, but they grow quickly and reach maturity in about a month. They are pale brown / tan color and sort of just peel off. That's good that you didn't find any and worthwhile to rule out. Hopefully, the yellow tip bounces back.

The coral is healthy at the base and other branches are fine, I have a large frag from the same colony right next to it and its growing great. So I have no idea, I’ll just let it roll. My only guess is that monster phosphate spike might have something to do with it, I have a few tenuis that went to brown town but have polyp extension and no tissue loss (yet)

Thanks for the help on the dip, I appreciate it @ScottB @sdreef

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a white background, an aefw outbreak would be very evident (at least with a clear dip, which is why I switched from Bayer). I am not against Bayer as it is super gentle; it is just so hard to use.

I think you can rule out aefw.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a white background, an aefw outbreak would be very evident (at least with a clear dip, which is why I switched from Bayer). I am not against Bayer as it is super gentle; it is just so hard to use.

I think you can rule out aefw.

Yeah, it’s a head scratcher for me and have never that that symptom before. I was just talking with the wife and said this is the healthiest most of my SPS has ever looked and I’m very happy with the colors.

Getting some oranges and purples I’ve never had even when they were more established colonies before chopping everything up.

I have a few other pieces with great colorful polyp extension but are brown. Hopefully they come back around.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gambled on two cheap frags of splice from Lazy, if I have any luck maybe I’ll get the reds.

BCFDCC62-5D32-4874-9A31-E0786AD6C792.jpeg

I nearly wet myself when I saw this thread title go by...

Husker-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored awesome build thread and documentation on your system! enjoyed it!
When you transferred livestock from your 210 to new tank you mentioned dosing phosphate and nitrate to keep levels off zero. What exactly did you dose? you might have said but I missed it.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Hydrored did you get the overflow to quiet down?

I've just lost 3 days of my life plumbing my nightmare of a tank and the overflow is the biggest point of sale I've ever dealt with in this hobby. Loud is an understatement. I mean my entire install and system is at risk with this overflow and all its flaws.

When I find time (and the desire) I will share the story on my build thread to see what solutions I can come up with. I have to step away for a couple days before I throw in the towel

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've just lost 3 days of my life plumbing my nightmare of a tank and the overflow is the biggest point of sale I've ever dealt with in this hobby. Loud is an understatement. I mean my entire install and system is at risk with this overflow and all its flaws.

When I find time (and the desire) I will share the story on my build thread to see what solutions I can come up with. I have to step away for a couple days before I throw in the towel
Sorry to hear that, I know how you feel, I have had the same feeling many times. I hope it all works out.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@rtparty Sorry I didn’t get notifications on my build thread.

I did yes, I shortened the discharge pipe off the main and have the water level set so it’s just under the vent hole of the secondary. I will say it’s it’s quiet but I also still can not have the water level surge too much or it gets out of hand.

I have the MP60’s on the back wall and 1 MP40 on each side higher running constant and is fine like that. On my next tank I will not use a Synergy overflow.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored awesome build thread and documentation on your system! enjoyed it!
When you transferred livestock from your 210 to new tank you mentioned dosing phosphate and nitrate to keep levels off zero. What exactly did you dose? you might have said but I missed it.
@Husker_Reefer

Sorry I missed this, I used Neophos and Neonitro, a better one that I ended up using is KZ Extra Special as it has both a nitrate and phosphate adder. I only used these products for a brief period of time.

Oddly enough my tank is still getting phosphate swings that I have yet to resolve but no losses.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rtparty Sorry I didn’t get notifications on my build thread.

I did yes, I shortened the discharge pipe off the main and have the water level set so it’s just under the vent hole of the secondary. I will say it’s it’s quiet but I also still can not have the water level surge too much or it gets out of hand.

I have the MP60’s on the back wall and 1 MP40 on each side higher running constant and is fine like that. On my next tank I will not use a Synergy overflow.
I ordered a 10' frag tank with Synergy over flows (one on each end) back in January. Every since then, I keep seeing these issues. I will be taking delivery next week some time. Guess I will "dry fit" it for testing or something before I glue it all. I dunno.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 58 40.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 34 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.9%
Back