all green rainbow splice support group

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
While i wait hoping for some purple/red to come in i thought i would share the journey and and hope that others might share their experience.

I bought i nice all green frag of RRC rainbow splice for a good price on 9/9/21. I'm getting good growth, for me, and obviously impatiently waiting for the red/purple to make an appearance. I had actually bought i nice frag with both colors earlier and killed it, sadly, and embarrassingly. Wanted to try again but wasn't willing to pay for a nice two color frag at the time.

Frag the day it arrived.
RRC RS.jpg

OP
OP
Joe462

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Frag today. its still in my new arrivals observation tank, its not a true quarantine but everything new goes in there before i move it to my display or frag system. I haven't moved it yet, because its growing pretty well there, sorry about the algae issues. I also have cut a couple frags, i figure the more "colonies" the more chances that one will develop the other color.
IMG_5380.JPG
IMG_5381.JPG
IMG_5382.JPG

OP
OP
Joe462

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'd expect you'll see the red coloration show up from new axial growth after there's a bit of encrusting at the base. I'm expecting arrival of an all green frag of the spice myself this week sometime, so I'll gladly participate in the journey with you!
sweet, i know there are a lot more out there too. Looking forward to seeing your frag and how yours develops.

I have to admit I'm starting to get impatient and have been pricing two color frags. hence the need for a support group.

OP
OP
Joe462

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Forget the splice. What is that fire NE, SW, and SE of it? Especially that monti...

I should specify. In the first pic
Tragic

SW is RRC LV, NE is TCK utter fury (which i lost, i fumbled it while dipping and acclimating and dropped it in a bucket of waste water, i quickly got it out and rinsed it in tank water but it died they next day and all others were fine so I'm assuming that's what killed it. the picture was after that incident so i thought it was fine.)

The monti, i'm not 100% sure, i got it in a trade and it was suppose to be JF Jackpot monti or JF fruity pebbles monti. he gave me both, but both frags looked about the same to me so i wasn't sure which was which. I thought i would be able to figure it out once they grew out a little but, i haven't really tried yet.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what mine looked like when I first got it at the end of Feb 21. It had a small amount of red but was mainly green.
20210226_104227.jpg

Here it is now, still mostly green/yellow but lots of red areas and it seems to be getting more each month.
20220107_212545.jpg

You can see the colors starting to change
20220107_212641.jpg

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine has been a total disappointment. It has one branch that has a streak of red that has gotten alittle bigger but not spread to any of the other branches or the new growth. Just recently I cut that branch in the middle of the red leaving a frag with red and some red on the main colony branch. My hope is the cut frag will grow with more red as it grows. It was banked with me from a friend so I am so glad I didnt pay big money for it.
Jeff

OP
OP
Joe462

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mine has been a total disappointment. It has one branch that has a streak of red that has gotten alittle bigger but not spread to any of the other branches or the new growth. Just recently I cut that branch in the middle of the red leaving a frag with red and some red on the main colony branch. My hope is the cut frag will grow with more red as it grows. It was banked with me from a friend so I am so glad I didnt pay big money for it.
Jeff
Thats a bummer. It seems like those with a nice marbled colony are really lucky.

OP
OP
Joe462

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
@SweetReefOH has the same issue as I am not getting any red. Feel for him since he spent big money on his. Really a shame since it is such a good growing coral
Jeff
Thats why that sounded familiar, i was looking at one of his threads or one about rainbow splices, and his story was very similar to yours. Did yours have the purple from the start or did it develop?

Did you two trade/bank a vivid insanity too? I thought i saw that on his thread, i swear i'm not a stalker. But as you guys are relatively local to me (Ohio) and into nice sticks i have been following along. and the vivid insanity is on my list.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to never see red color? Say you got all green piece... isn't it possible it has no coding for red? Almost like it got fragged back to a green acro.

OP
OP
Joe462

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Is it possible to never see red color? Say you got all green piece... isn't it possible it has no coding for red? Almost like it got fragged back to a green acro.
Its certainly possible that you never see the red, but the "coding" for the red should always be in there. my understanding (and my understanding is limited, this is relatively complex stuff) is that it is actually some sort of infection that creates the green so the red would always be a part of the "DNA" of the coral and could be expressed, but the green does seem somewhat dominant. @SawCJack00 explains it somewhere or shared an explanation somewhere.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its certainly possible that you never see the red, but the "coding" for the red should always be in there. my understanding (and my understanding is limited, this is relatively complex stuff) is that it is actually some sort of infection that creates the green so the red would always be a part of the "DNA" of the coral and could be expressed, but the green does seem somewhat dominant. @SawCJack00 explains it somewhere or shared an explanation somewhere.
Here is the Reef Builders article about the mother colony: https://reefbuilders.com/2019/01/10/the-rainbow-splice-acropora-millepora-from-reef-raft-canada/

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats why that sounded familiar, i was looking at one of his threads or one about rainbow splices, and his story was very similar to yours. Did yours have the purple from the start or did it develop?

Did you two trade/bank a vivid insanity too? I thought i saw that on his thread, i swear i'm not a stalker. But as you guys are relatively local to me (Ohio) and into nice sticks i have been following along. and the vivid insanity is on my list.
Jesse and I live a whole 5 minutes apart and @Lazys Coral House of lazys coral house lives 20 minutes from us. We all three trade and bank with each other. Its been a very nice arrangement for us. I do have a very nice colony of insanity that I did bank a frag with @SweetReefOH. I purchased a solar flare from you years ago at the dayton swap.
Jeff

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@SweetReefOH has the same issue as I am not getting any red. Feel for him since he spent big money on his. Really a shame since it is such a good growing coral
Jeff
I Frankensteined my colony. I’ve had it almost a year and no purple ever developed anywhere but the original little slice on the tip. The new frag pic is a piece of the original frag I paid $1600 for. Huge mistake and I regret that purchase more than any I have made in this hobby. So, I cut it off and I’m gonna give that frag a chance to grow the purple. Fingers crossed, we’ll wait another year *sigh*
08B44492-E91C-4C74-B954-04BD742D5EB8.jpeg
A425296C-1FE7-4C8F-A962-3F43F1C01A83.jpeg

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here is what mine looked like when I first got it at the end of Feb 21. It had a small amount of red but was mainly green.
20210226_104227.jpg

Here it is now, still mostly green/yellow but lots of red areas and it seems to be getting more each month.
20220107_212545.jpg

You can see the colors starting to change
20220107_212641.jpg
That’s some pretty amazing colors!

OP
OP
Joe462

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Jesse and I live a whole 5 minutes apart and @Lazys Coral House of lazys coral house lives 20 minutes from us. We all three trade and bank with each other. Its been a very nice arrangement for us. I do have a very nice colony of insanity that I did bank a frag with @SweetReefOH. I purchased a solar flare from you years ago at the dayton swap.
Jeff
Thats a good group! I haven't found anything like that out here yet, i keep hoping.

Thats cool, hope it did well for you. I'm going to the Cincyreef swap Saturday, but its relitively short notice, i just found out Sunday that they had an opening, still not certain what all i'm going to be able to pull together and bring.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back