OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DeRosa or hippopus I believe would do great. Even a maxima and place a rock under it it can attach to

Thanks! Is 250 PAR enough for a maxima? The last ones I had were in 450 range and grew well.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Hydrored

Would you use the same grip lock hangers again? Looks like they're rated for over 450 pounds per hanger.

I'm building a floating canopy right now and $300 in just hangers destroys budget. 3 halides, 2 XHO bars, the ballasts, extrusions, and skin. I can't see it being more than 50 pounds unless the extrusion is heavier than I think

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored

Would you use the same grip lock hangers again? Looks like they're rated for over 450 pounds per hanger.

I'm building a floating canopy right now and $300 in just hangers destroys budget. 3 halides, 2 XHO bars, the ballasts, extrusions, and skin. I can't see it being more than 50 pounds unless the extrusion is heavier than I think

@rtparty

Yes I would, I used them not for what they are rated for but the locking design after talking with MTN. These allow for a more precise adjustment especially under load and wanted a side exit. I had the cheaper ones from MTN and they work fine, just know it’s more of a pain to get them level.

The wire rope is by and far the cheapest off Amazon, remember the rope comes in different spec, one is far more pliable than the other. The size of the wire rope using the same hangars is far too large and overkill for the application. I found wrapping where you are going to cut the rope tight with electrical tape then using a cut off wheel to cut the rope (use safety glasses no joke) stopped it from fraying. I then dipped the end in a bit of silver solder.

Weight for 15 series-
Weight lbs: 0.1123 per inch

I used 15 series instead of 10 due to the standard slot sizes that has stainless hardware available even at a lowes.

These work fine as you can use a carabiner to connect the rail to grip lock-

I can find the parts list from my rack order if you want. Hopefully that was helpful

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 6 inch maxima on my bare bottom about that much PAR under 8 bulb T5 and it does very well. I feed live phyto every other day to the tank.

What about a Squamosa? For 100 bucks seems like a deal?

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a Squamosa? For 100 bucks seems like a deal?

Sure. I believe they're a rock clam so I'd just sit on a small rock on the bottom

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squamosa should be less requirement than the maxima so id imagine no issues as long as you get a healthy one to start. When I move this summer mine is going to enjoy the new 800 watts of metal halide but for now its happy as can be under T5 on the very bottom of the tank. Give it a go.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Car was just dropped off from full front PPF, ceramic coating, and detail-
629450C1-D147-40F4-957E-5B6E43EADD93.jpeg
13B56DF0-53B4-4327-A5ED-B4305570466A.jpeg

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting around to the tank for the first time in 2 weeks, everything looked good for test results but getting a bit of algae growing on the rocks. If just blew everything around getting ready for a water change.

I do have a yellow tip that looks like I’m loosing to something bacterial? Any idea’s? it’s not stripping per say, but is like something is eating away at it? Reminds of of like if you got a nasty skin burn?

F4748D0F-9B2C-4494-9873-A37C4CF0E505.jpeg
B3DCDF32-E2ED-4EE8-8F44-FEA6CE9B4E78.jpeg

Last edited:

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting around to the tank for the first time in 2 weeks, everything looked good for test results but getting a bit of algae growing on the rocks. If just blew everything around getting ready for a water change.

I do have a yellow tip that looks like I’m loosing to something bacterial? Any idea’s? it’s not stripping per say, but is like something is eating away at it? Reminds of of like if you got a nasty skin burn?

A couple thoughts to share. Do all the other acros look ok? If all the parameters are good and have been stable as you mention then I'd consider a dip to confirm no pests. Low risk to dip it even if it doesn't end up diagnosing the problem.

I'm not suggesting it's a pest as it doesn't look like a typical pattern for pests, but I had a frag that looked like that when I previously discovered AEFW in my system which is what makes me think of that. Otherwise, hard to say. May just be due to microbial community rebalancing with all the new rock in the system even with all the established rock transferred over.

Nice to see the whole system coming along. Are you still using aqua forest salt? Thoughts on the salt?

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple thoughts to share. Do all the other acros look ok? If all the parameters are good and have been stable as you mention then I'd consider a dip to confirm no pests. Low risk to dip it even if it doesn't end up diagnosing the problem.

I'm not suggesting it's a pest as it doesn't look like a typical pattern for pests, but I had a frag that looked like that when I previously discovered AEFW in my system which is what makes me think of that. Otherwise, hard to say. May just be due to microbial community rebalancing with all the new rock in the system even with all the established rock transferred over.

Nice to see the whole system coming along. Are you still using aqua forest salt? Thoughts on the salt?

Hey @sdreef

Yes the others look fine, the base of the coral itself also looks healthy. I’ll give it a dip, it hasn’t gotten any worse or any better. I had a pretty substantial phosphate spike so that may have something to do with it.

I like the Aquaforest salt and corals all respond to it when doing a water change, I will say it does not mix ultra clear and does leave a residue. I still have another 800 gallons worth of the salt so I’ll at least use it through then. I still like Tropic Marin salt the best but I’m still am holding a grudge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was supposed to receive my Blonde Naso, Gem Tang, Midas Blenny, and a couple other fish today from Dr. Reef. Let’s just say I must have the worse luck with fish suppliers because I’ve had nothing but terrible experiences with all of them. Was excited to receive the gem tang and naso just for the gem tang to be a blemished one and the Naso never showing up.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-ways-to-contact-dr-reef.841174/post-10057692

These companies take so much enjoyment out of the hobby, I wish I had time to quarantine all of my own fish again, I just got a promotion and will now have even less time. Honestly, I have been thinking about leaving it all together.

Maybe finding a hobbyist that’s willing to get paid to service my tank at this point, I don’t trust any of these service companies either, sadly

Last edited:

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sdreef any specific dip for aefw?

I use melafix marine. I just follow the dip instructions on the bottle. 10mL melafix to 1 Liter of tank water. I dip for about 2-3 min and then gently baste the coral. I keep the overall dip time under five minutes. The dip will stun any worms, doesn't kill them, but good for knocking them off if they are there.

In my experience, this has been gentler on the corals than other dips I've used and I've found it safe and simple to use.

IMG_2640.JPG

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 72 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.7%
Back