Hydrored's 300 Glass Cages Build

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was sitting there thinking to myself why TF hasn't Hydro updated his thread in forever??? Then I come in and find the apocalypse hit, tank is being sold, and we're going bigger!!! I've also been tagged in a post and got zero notifications for any of this...

Sorry to hear about the tank. Happy to hear about bigger and more epic though :D

As for the TM salt, I don't think they are lying about clay. I just think it was contaminated with something. Someone at the Turkey plant got a great deal on an ingredient and took a back door deal type of situation. This is 100% speculation on my part. All of the backroom ramblings I've heard is TM is telling the truth. Makes no sense to lie here. Someone will eventually quit and spread the truth.

We know something has happened but TM may never even know the full truth.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sitting there thinking to myself why TF hasn't Hydro updated his thread in forever??? Then I come in and find the apocalypse hit, tank is being sold, and we're going bigger!!! I've also been tagged in a post and got zero notifications for any of this...

Sorry to hear about the tank. Happy to hear about bigger and more epic though :D

As for the TM salt, I don't think they are lying about clay. I just think it was contaminated with something. Someone at the Turkey plant got a great deal on an ingredient and took a back door deal type of situation. This is 100% speculation on my part. All of the backroom ramblings I've heard is TM is telling the truth. Makes no sense to lie here. Someone will eventually quit and spread the truth.

We know something has happened but TM may never even know the full truth.

Well the latest news hot off the press for now we are staying, we’ll see if that changes come June but for now the 300 lives on…. Thanks for checking in!

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still love your tank, sorry to hear about your problems with TM. I stopped using that salt months ago when it started dirtying up my mixing container. The thing is all my buckets were from Germany.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights were installed last week, so far I really like them with the Helius program, with the shimmer and color it’s a 14k look. ICP came back all good after a huge amount of water changes from the Tropic Marin salt to Aquaforest.

6A9E4E88-40AE-4CE1-9F85-B1F8E03F92B5.jpeg
How are you liking the icons so far? What are your initial impressions?

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the icons so far? What are your initial impressions?
So far couldn’t be happier, if I had to pick something I’m not a huge on is fans, they really are never on that much but noticeable when going from clouds on to peak then calm right back down.

I have spent absolutely zero time with the tank with my recent work schedule. Looks like I have a bit of Dino’s here or there but not sure how that would be possible with the nutrients I have, chalking it up to new rock. I’m not even sweating it just letting the tank do it’s thing.

I also have a brand new Mastertronic sitting in the box for a month, just no time. It was a freebie from a buddy to give a whirl

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far couldn’t be happier, if I had to pick something I’m not a huge on is fans, they really are never on that much but noticeable when going from clouds on to peak then calm right back down.

I have spent absolutely zero time with the tank with my recent work schedule. Looks like I have a bit of Dino’s here or there but not sure how that would be possible with the nutrients I have, chalking it up to new rock. I’m not even sweating it just letting the tank do it’s thing.

I also have a brand new Mastertronic sitting in the box for a month, just no time. It was a freebie from a buddy to give a whirl
A free Mastertronic from a friend. Man, I need to find some better friends.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A free Mastertronic from a friend. Man, I need to find some better friends.
I have a Alkatronic with 2+ gallons of reagent and a maintenance kit along with a Dosetronic sitting here as well, you interested?

And trust me, even though I didn’t pay for it, nothing is ever free

Last edited:

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Alkatronic with 2+ gallons of reagent and a maintenance kit along with a Dosetronic sitting here as well, you interested?

And trust me, even though I didn’t pay for it, nothing is ever free
Always, I'm trying to talk the wife into buying them. LOL

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m completely dumbfounded with my test results today-
.46 phosphates
4 Nitrates

I mentioned what looked like a couple spots of Dino’s and the UV nuked that, something seems off but I triple checked the test. How the heck can phosphates be that high with low nitrates?

I guess I’ll put a bit of rowaphos in a reactor.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.46 phosphates
4 Nitrates

I mentioned what looked like a couple spots of Dino’s and the UV nuked that, something seems off but I triple checked the test. How the heck can phosphates be that high with low nitrates?

Do you feed a lot of pellets? I'm dealing with the same issue and figured out my pellets have way more phosphates than nitrates. Feeding more frozen. Also coral foods have a ton

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
.46 phosphates
4 Nitrates

Don't quote me on this but if you're using the Hanna checker, I believe it is thrown off by silicates quite easily.

What I'm saying is, you COULD have silicates and not phosphate.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't quote me on this but if you're using the Hanna checker, I believe it is thrown off by silicates quite easily.

What I'm saying is, you COULD have silicates and not phosphate.

Interesting, I have never once had phosphates this high, I have been traveling a ton and spending little time with the tank but never this out of hand.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed a lot of pellets? I'm dealing with the same issue and figured out my pellets have way more phosphates than nitrates. Feeding more frozen. Also coral foods have a ton

Once in awhile I’ll feed a bit of TDO but my tank (s) has been on the same feeding schedule for 3 years with home made frozen and pre cut cubes of LRS. Everything is cut to size and put in jello cups so it’s pretty hard to over feed even with me traveling.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once in awhile I’ll feed a bit of TDO but my tank (s) has been on the same feeding schedule for 3 years with home made frozen and pre cut cubes of LRS. Everything is cut to size and put in jello cups so it’s pretty hard to over feed even with me traveling.

What do you think is contributing to the higher phosphate levels? Is the mastertronic up and running yet?

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think is contributing to the higher phosphate levels? Is the mastertronic up and running yet?

Only idea I came up with is I feed 15 ml of live phyto daily, outside of that no clue. I got lazy on testing phosphates and nitrates as they were consistent and that is the only change.

I did get the Mastertronic up and running and was actually what triggered me to look into the phosphates. Only side effect I’m seeing from high phosphates is coraline growth has slowed along with a slight color change in it.

I couldn’t be happier with the colors and polyp extension of the coral itself right now so who knows.

ICP came back all green but showing .40 for phosphates and 3 for nitrates. RMS has the tank pretty dialed in.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update-

phosphates are running .16 using some benepets and a bit of rowaphos, the tank woke back up and coraline is growing again on the glass. I have the rowaphos offline now. I’m confident the phyto was causing the increase in phosphates. So far I’m super pleased with the Icon’s and have zero regrets getting them.

For other news I will be going down and out for spine surgery on Monday for 3 weeks so going to continue to let the tank just do it’s thing while I recover. I have a buddy checking on the tank for me while I’m down.

Even more exciting for me is I unexpectedly sold my 2021 RS7 for a price I couldn’t pass up, sad to see it go but it really was never driven much. I have been looking for a weekend car to replace it and purchased a car that’s being delivered on Saturday.

I hope everyone is doing well and happy reefing!

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update-

phosphates are running .16 using some benepets and a bit of rowaphos, the tank woke back up and coraline is growing again on the glass. I have the rowaphos offline now. I’m confident the phyto was causing the increase in phosphates. So far I’m super pleased with the Icon’s and have zero regrets getting them.

For other news I will be going down and out for spine surgery on Monday for 3 weeks so going to continue to let the tank just do it’s thing while I recover. I have a buddy checking on the tank for me while I’m down.

Even more exciting for me is I unexpectedly sold my 2021 RS7 for a price I couldn’t pass up, sad to see it go but it really was never driven much. I have been looking for a weekend car to replace it and purchased a car that’s being delivered on Saturday.

I hope everyone is doing well and happy reefing!
We're you dosing live phyto?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back