Unusual tank problem

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the consensus of the people posting in this thread, on using Xenia for filtration. Is Xenia Evil?

Many, many years ago, a friend had Xenia in a small tank that received some direct sunlight through a basement window. The tank was connected to the basement system that supported the reef livestock in two 125 tanks on the first floor of his home. (Aside, I must give Gary Chefetz credit for being the person who discovered that Desjardini Tangs consumed the dreaded bubble algae (Valonia). Both 125s had said bubble algae, but when a Desjardini Tang was introduced to one 125, the bubble algae in that tank disappeared, but not the Valonia in the other attached 125.) Anyway, my friend Julian Sprung had the opportunity to see Gary's setup and christened his Xenia tank a "Xenia Filter".

All that said, should I seriously consider removing the Xenia from my DT? (I've got maybe 2 sq feet of it.) My Nitrates have hit zero several times in the past month, but my Phosphates only seem to be reduced with the maximum level additions of Tropic Marin's Reef Actif.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back