Help with sick clownfish

Finandbubble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is our first post on reef2reef and are hoping we can get some help! Our tank is 75 gallon with 20 gallon sump. Temp: 78 PH: 8.1 Salinity: 1.025 ORP range: 265-290. There are coral, 1 anemone, snails and hermits, 2 starfish, 8 fish (3 Pj cardinal, 1 diamond goby, 1 damsel, 2 wild caught clownfish, and cleaner wrasse), 2 shrimp (coral banded and skunk). Problem started January 30 when white spots appeared on (now dead) Tomini Tang fins. Progressed into full body white spots and him lying on side, heavy breathing, lack of appetite. Took about a week to die on February 3rd. We treated the whole tank with Rally pro and it did not seem to do much. Photo of deceased tang attached. Now we are fighting to save 2 “wild caught” clowns that started to show white spots on fin on February 3rd. So far we have used Rally pro and Kick Ich in Display tank. 3 days ago it was recommended that we feed Metroplex with Focus (also have Kanaplex on hand). There has been a slight improvement after feeding metroplex but their skin still looks horrible, we are afraid to freshwater dip and stress them. We have not noticed a lack of appetite, they are breathing heavier, 1 has been laying in sinularia coral for a few minutes and then getting up. No other fish effected. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

IMG_6116.jpeg IMG_7224.png IMG_6049.jpeg IMG_6120.jpeg IMG_6113.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see you're having these issues, it's never easy when your fish are getting sick. In a tank like yours with coral, sand and inverts (i assume), no in-tank miracle treatment is available for treating Ich (.. which this looks like to me!)

For treating this, you need to move your fish to a hospital tank and treat with copper. There's plenty of good guides here on R2R, although I always found this one from Humble Fish one of the easiest to follow.

Do you have a spare tank you can use for this?

Out of curiosity, do you do any quarantining / observation period before adding new fish to your tank?

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back