Unusual tank problem

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any idea what is going on? Some corals are closed up, others are not. This coral has white spots all over it. I check my temp and salinity and it’s in range. I do regular 20% water changes. I’ll throw up a bunch of pictures. The coral with white spots is usually just red.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing your numbers one could only guess. I would start with throwing some cabon in the sump. Can't hurt anything, maybe something got in the tank?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral has white spots all over it

That is the corals skeleton poking through the flesh of the coral. If you touch them they are probably hard and sharp. The coral is retracted and not expanding fully, and it’s retracted so much the skeleton is pushing through

I’ve seen this happen from shipping stress but really any stress can cause it - parameters, lighting, flow, excess hunger/lack of nutrition, crab or fish nipping etc

OP
OP
ChickReef

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I ran some test.
salinity is 1.26
6.1 Alk dkh
.50 ppm phosphate
0 ppm Nitrates
340 Calcium
78.6 temp

Also I did change out my bio media to the marine pure gems a couple weeks ago.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I ran some test.
salinity is 1.26
6.1 Alk dkh
.50 ppm phosphate
0 ppm Nitrates
340 Calcium
78.6 temp

Also I did change out my bio media to the marine pure gems a couple weeks ago.
Alk is low. You want 8 DKH. Phosphate slightly elevated. 0 nitrates means coral are starving to death. You want 10 to 20. Calcium low, you want 420 to 450.

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? Pretty much all of your parameters need some sort of adjustment.

These are the ranges I shoot for which are pretty standard:
Nitrates 5-10ppm.
I use Brightwells Neonitro to boost up nitrates if they are too low, and water changes if they are too high.

Phosphate 0.02-0.05. I use Brightwells neophos if they are too low, and GFO from BRS if they are too high in a mesh filter sock or water changes.

Alkalinity 9.0. This is up to you, depending on your salt mix but a safe bet range it from 7.5-9.0 dkh. Calcium I'm not worried about because your salt should have a balanced level of calcium depending on your Alkalinity. If you had to boost up your alkalinity, I use ESV B-Ionic 2 pack (alk and calc booster). You put equal parts of alk buffer and calcium buffer to raise them in balance. BRS has an alkalinity calculator on their site that tells you how much of that product you should put in depending on your current alkalinity, target alkalinity, and tank size. You should only raise alkalinity by 0.5 dkh a day to not stress the corals.

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another point- I've been in your shoes before, quite recently actually. I end up making small adjustments every few days, while testing daily and tracking the results in a spreadsheet. After a month or two when everything starts to get in range, you can start testing once a week < which is where I'm at right now. Corals are doing fantastic now, but mine looked like yours and I had an insane amount of cyano.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like OP to make fresh batch of new saltwater 1.025, 1.026 whatever you normally mix to

Provide brand of salt and amount made. How much salt was needed to achieve this salinity

Measure calcium, alkalinity, phosphate and nitrate please. Let’s rule that out. And if you make 5g for example and we test and determine it’s good, then replace 5g of bogus water from tank with 5g we know is good, and you are one small step towards correcting the parameters that are off

OP
OP
ChickReef

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is this tank?

I would like OP to make fresh batch of new saltwater 1.025, 1.026 whatever you normally mix to

Provide brand of salt and amount made. How much salt was needed to achieve this salinity

Measure calcium, alkalinity, phosphate and nitrate please. Let’s rule that out. And if you make 5g for example and we test and determine it’s good, then replace 5g of bogus water from tank with 5g we know is good, and you are one small step towards correcting the parameters that are off
Okay, so I purchase premade water from LFS. I just tested a 5gallon bucket and it’s 1.025 salinity. I am using that for a water change. My tank is a 13.5 gallon tank.

I’m going to head to my LFS and have the refractometer calibrated to make sure it’s reading correctly. What products should I be picking up to help correct my issues.

OP
OP
ChickReef

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another point- I've been in your shoes before, quite recently actually. I end up making small adjustments every few days, while testing daily and tracking the results in a spreadsheet. After a month or two when everything starts to get in range, you can start testing once a week < which is where I'm at right now. Corals are doing fantastic now, but mine looked like yours and I had an insane amount of cyano.
I’ll make sure to do this! Thank you

OP
OP
ChickReef

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? Pretty much all of your parameters need some sort of adjustment.

These are the ranges I shoot for which are pretty standard:
Nitrates 5-10ppm.
I use Brightwells Neonitro to boost up nitrates if they are too low, and water changes if they are too high.

Phosphate 0.02-0.05. I use Brightwells neophos if they are too low, and GFO from BRS if they are too high in a mesh filter sock or water changes.

Alkalinity 9.0. This is up to you, depending on your salt mix but a safe bet range it from 7.5-9.0 dkh. Calcium I'm not worried about because your salt should have a balanced level of calcium depending on your Alkalinity. If you had to boost up your alkalinity, I use ESV B-Ionic 2 pack (alk and calc booster). You put equal parts of alk buffer and calcium buffer to raise them in balance. BRS has an alkalinity calculator on their site that tells you how much of that product you should put in depending on your current alkalinity, target alkalinity, and tank size. You should only raise alkalinity by 0.5 dkh a day to not stress the corals.
So test kits I use. Hanna for all and reef master for the rest I put in. I also have all for reef. I never used it but don’t know if it would help in this situation.

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, so I purchase premade water from LFS. I just tested a 5gallon bucket and it’s 1.025 salinity. I am using that for a water change. My tank is a 13.5 gallon tank.
Is the LFS making the water? If so, I’d ask them what brand they’re using. Some salt mixes are geared more towards fish only.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.5ppm phosphate must be an error.
That is way, way high, maybe softies ok with that but stoneys would perish at that level, or, at minimum, not grow.

Hoping you mean 0.05ppm phosphate.

A lonely Stoney coral in a mass of softies who may be excreting turpins to kill it for territory.

Certainly going to lose that battle.

I’d find a better place.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back