Hydros and BRS?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This makes more business sense, McDonalds doesn’t sell Burgerking.

One reason BRS is so popular is they are a one stop shop like Amazon. People do not want to have to shop at two or three places to fulfill everything. Would Amazon be as popular if they only carried Amazon branded products.

BRS was a retailer first. I think it hurts BRS more as people now have to shop competing retailers.

MAP needs to be a thing of the past as it sucks for consumers but that’s for another discussion.

No it doesn't, it protect small retailers so larger ones do not sell at loss and put the smaller ones out of business. When the larger puts the smaller ones out and eliminates competition, the larger one can charge what ever they want. No one wants that.

Last edited:

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One reason BRS is so popular is they are a one stop shop like Amazon. People do not want to have to shop at two or three places to fulfill everything. Would Amazon be as popular if they only carried Amazon branded products.

BRS was a retailer first. I think it hurts BRS more as people now have to shop competing retailers.

No it doesn't it protect small retailers so larger ones do not sell at loss and put the smaller ones out of business. When the larger puts the smaller ones out and eliminates competition the larger one can charge what ever they want. No one wants that.
Business models change they don’t want to be Amazon anymore obviously. This is a good thing as it will steer people to other shops. And like I said MAP is another discussion.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

No it doesn't it protect small retailers so larger ones do not sell at loss and put the smaller ones out of business. When the larger puts the smaller ones out and eliminates competition the larger one can charge what ever they want. No one wants that.
Exactly! I love BRS for that reason. Unfortunately there are going to be monopolies everywhere in every industry. And you can decide who you want to support or not. I’ve never had a bad experience with BRS and they are awesome in my experience. While they aren’t an Amazon sized company they do have a large stake in the industry. That being said I find the business decision to part ways interesting it makes sense but it’s interesting. I also love saltwateraquarium.com especially since it’s in my state so I get items so fast and then of course nothing beats being able to get thing in-person at the lfs which isn’t always possible for obvious reasons. Neither one of these businesses are small mom and pops shops either so I don’t think anyone should pity either party.

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Kraken last week at full price. Called BRS this morning and said i wanted to return and re purchase it. The rep was eager to give me the price difference on my entire hydros order. I got rewards points for over $280.00. I'll spend that on supplies then move on to another online retailer. I think I'm done with BRS.
This will be a missed customer service for sure. Last night I purchased 3 dosers from GHL website. I saw the sale around noon and emailed GHL. They wouldn’t do anything for me. Felt like a slap to the face

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS is behaving like a wounded frightened animal. If I was CoralVue, I would do market research to identify the things people would still go to BRS for and offer alternatives. For me that’s RODI supplies, some bulk chemicals, and the MP40 pumps. I’ll be looking for alternatives for all of these.

I would also double down on PR and support. There will be a lot of new Hydros users coming, ride the wave, impress everyone.

I wish CV sold direct to consumer since I live down the street. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I have met everyone there and they are good people.

I hope CV remembers what BRS has forgotten… that reefing is a community. And a loyal community if you stay humble and listen to us and treat us right.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Randy left because he didn't like the direction the company is was going.
I think Ryan going on Hiatus is telling too. I bet he doesn't come back.

Also it was not just Hydros it was a ton of stuff discontinued or clearanced.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you can decide who you want to support or not
Why do we have to support any of them? Why can't we just purchase what we want from any vendor free of loyalty?

Saving on shipping is definitely a worthy argument. But I'd venture to guess that brs will still be a one stop shop for most people.

Yes they're narrowing the competition, and consumers need to be savvy, but we all know, for the most part, we are not.

How much of this is hyperbole from the ones shorted by this decision? It's trying to get the consumer to join forces with the underdog retailers so that the underdog can position themselves to take advantage of the consumer? We should stay out of this, it's not our (the hobbyist) fight.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why do we have to support any of them? Why can't we just purchase what we want from any vendor free of loyalty?

Saving on shipping is definitely a worthy argument. But I'd venture to guess that brs will still be a one stop shop for most people.

Yes they're narrowing the competition, and consumers need to be savvy, but we all know, for the most part, we are not.

How much of this is hyperbole from the ones shorted by this decision? It's trying to get the consumer to join forces with the underdog retailers so that the underdog can position themselves to take advantage of the consumer? We should stay out of this, it's not our (the hobbyist) fight.
I bet you are an Apex user. :)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you are an Apex user. :)
That's no secret but its not because i support them, if you read anything I say about neptune, you'd understand why they refer to me as historically problematic. To even throw you for a bigger loop, I boycotted brs circa 2018.

I view most things through the lens of a hobbyists and regardless of popular dogma, I don't give any company or product a free pass.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought the Kraken last week at full price. Called BRS this morning and said i wanted to return and re purchase it. The rep was eager to give me the price difference on my entire hydros order. I got rewards points for over $280.00. I'll spend that on supplies then move on to another online retailer. I think I'm done with BRS.

So they did you right and this has you eager to leave them as a customer? I don’t understand.

BRS customer service has always been awesome and will help out if you bought something at full price the day before a sale etc.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Same. They gave me points for all of my hydros gear I got in the last 2 weeks.

But I’ll keep buying from them.

I understand folks are upset, but I'll be checking the marketplace for everyone selling used apex gear as they boycott

Don’t do it. Switch to hydros. I just did. It really is better. And I was DEEP into Apex.

That's no secret but its not because i support them, if you read anything I say about neptune, you'd understand why they refer to me as historically problematic. To even throw you for a bigger loop, I boycotted brs circa 2018.

I view most things through the lens of a hobbyists and regardless of popular dogma, I don't give any company or product a free pass.

They banned me from their Facebook group for “too much negative product feedback.” No BS. That’s why they banned me.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got on the train later, after Aperture. I was a customer since they started back in the Reef Central hay days. Now I only buy a few things, but I think I’m done now. Kinda sad.

edit: looking at old email, almost 20 years!

My first BRS purchase was in 2008. They opened in 2007.

OP
OP
E

Erich T.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they did you right and this has you eager to leave them as a customer? I don’t understand.

BRS customer service has always been awesome and will help out if you bought something at full price the day before a sale etc.
Pure and simply.... They dumped a great and upcoming controller system (which they sold for years and never reviewed...holy Sh**.. What a review Thomas would give along with Randy and Ryan. They were an online retailer, now they are just their own brand plus some that they dont own. Who's next to get the axe?

OP
OP
E

Erich T.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if Coralvue would give us free shirts to wear at Reef a Palooza? I would hang out by aperture all day wearing it. Ill be there for Reef a Palooza New York, I'm 45 minutes away. Anyone else game?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use and like my basic apex set up.

This is pretty crazy though. I haven’t been around long but I’ve seen the rise of the BRS hobby site into this new giant that is anything but for the hobby. Pretty sad.

I also haven’t bought from them in a long while. All saltwater aquarium now.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back