Hydros AWC

  • Thread starter Thread starter kmarine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I'm setting up my AWC now. I'm doing it on a JBJ RFP 65 AiO tank.

I have two optical level sensors. One at my "normal" level, then another set at the level that it is in the back chamber after removing .5 gallons of water from the normally running tank. That sensor is the "low" level.

I have three Trigger System 5g ATO reservoirs. One with RODI for auto top off, one with freshly mixed saltwater and the third is for "waste" saltwater.

I use drive port micro pumps for pumping into the tank (RODI and fresh saltwater), and a did a custom Kamoer 600ml/m dosing pump for drawing water out of the tank (no siphon with a peristaltic pump). I made the 12 Kamoer pump run on a drive port as well.

During normal operation, the micropump and "normal" level sensor act as the ATO. During AWC, the ATO functionality is paused, the Kamoer pumps water out of the tank until it hits the "low" level sensor, then the second micro pump fills it with new saltwater until the "normal" level sensor reads wet. Then ATO functionality is resumed.

It's was so easy to do, and the whole process only takes about 4 minutes.

I also have level sensors in my reservoirs for my own peace of mind, but the 5g gives me about 10 days worth of daily water changes. I just use a small DC pump to empty the old saltwater into a bucket when the reservoir gets too full.
 
I’m setting up a similar AWC system with Kamoer pumps that pull/pushes water between my tank and mixing station in the garage. Just curious if anyone uses check valves on the lines or do you just rely on the pump to prevent a siphon?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new