Hydros Product lineup

CaymanR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am looking at the Icecap 4k Gyres and evaluating if I should get the Hydros Wave Controller instead of the wifi icecap controller. I don't need to control other pumps, but it would be nice to control them online (I'll need a Hydros Control unit when that comes out). But its hard to evaluate the total cost of the Hydros system vs Neptune. Is pricing available yet for the Hydros float switch and temperature probes? Is there any hydros Ecotech lighting module planned?

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at the Icecap 4k Gyres and evaluating if I should get the Hydros Wave Controller instead of the wifi icecap controller. I don't need to control other pumps, but it would be nice to control them online (I'll need a Hydros Control unit when that comes out). But its hard to evaluate the total cost of the Hydros system vs Neptune. Is pricing available yet for the Hydros float switch and temperature probes? Is there any hydros Ecotech lighting module planned?

The new IceCap Gyre Dual Pump WiFi Controller allows you to control your pumps remotely with your phone/tablet using the same HYDROS app as the WaveEngine:

If you were looking to get 2 x 4K pumps and the Gyre Dual Pump controller, you would be looking at a total of $399.98.

There are a couple of different versions of the HYDROS WaveEngine. Assuming you went with the standard, 2 x 4K "pump only") pumps, and the 2 x adapters needed to control/power them, you would be looking at a total of $623.95.

If you are thinking of adding more flow pumps in the future or connecting a return pump, skimmer pump, etc., the WaveEngine would be the way to go. If you're only looking to control a couple of flow pumps online, the Gyre Dual Pump Controller can accomplish that for less money. Like I mentioned earlier, both pump controllers use the same HYDROS app, you're just going to get more features with the WaveEngine (control multiple pumps from different brands, more preset flow modes, etc.).

The HYDROS Control 2 aquarium controller is going to be $199.99:

The HYDROS Control 4 aquarium controller is going to be $399.99:

One of the nice things about using the WaveEngine is that, in addition to be able to power up to 4 pumps, you can also plug a HYDROS aquarium controller into it for further power brick and cord consolidation. Each of the controllers will include a temperature sensor. I don't know the final pricing for HYDROS float switches, but they will be affordable like the controllers. I haven't heard anything yet about Radion control, but I'll put my feelers out and see if I hear anything. The Philips CoralCare is the next lighting product coming from CoralVue, so I suspect we'll be working to integrate that with the platform if we're not already.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update yet on Vectra control?

You still have this listed as a feature, so likely people are buying it to use that feature...but if it's never going to actually happen...

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update yet on Vectra control?

You still have this listed as a feature, so likely people are buying it to use that feature...but if it's never going to actually happen...

Not yet. We'll make an announcement when the time comes! We went ahead and removed the Vectra from the product description for the time being.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on release of the new controllers?
@Jeff@CoralVue - any news that you can share?

The first round of beta testers, a group that includes several members of the R2R community, are putting them to the test right now. I know some trusted the platform enough to switch over from Apex completely; others are taking it a little bit at a time. There may be one or two in there that haven't used an aquarium controller in the past.

The feedback I have heard from two particular individuals (both members here) makes me extremely excited.

One said, "It's pretty awesome! The responsiveness of the app is remarkable, with almost instant feedback when a level sensor or leak sensor is triggered.l All the hardware is really impressive too. The leak sensor is leagues better than the bare-circuit board apex ones, and the external skimmer sensor is pretty sweet as well."

The other said that "the HYDROS Control 4 is essentially running my entire system. Not everything I have is completely on the power strips yet , but they will be soon. After my initial hookup I was so impressed with the accuracy and precision of the pH probe and Temperature sensor, I just dove in."

I believe there will be another more public round of testing that will occur in July-August. I believe the controllers will be available in stores in September. I think if things coincided we were going to announce the release date at MACNA and even sell them there. But since that isn't happening, I am not sure how we'll go about. I am working on copy for the boxes (which have already been designed); the boxes for the accessories were done a while ago.

Instructional material will need to be completed but as things are still in development we can't do that yet, even though it's going to be quite an undertaking. Testers are saying things like "adding sensors is very simple and intuitive," which is great, but we're going to have to pump out a lot of help pages and videos regardless of how user-friendly it is.

Looking ahead: "I see Alkatronic mentioned in inputs..... which means the upcoming Mastertronic might work as well o_O." Check out this interview with Don Edvalson, CoralVue's Chief Engineer and mastermind behind HYDROS. You don't really need to watch it, just listen. It's only a month old and they do a good job of explaining how HYDROS compares to current options and how it is different.

Don't expect all the major stores to jump on board right away. This is a disruptive product line. Some stores will claim they are waiting to see how the industry responds before they pick it up, but don't let them fool you. It's strictly business. They will paint a different picture for you: "we are protecting you, our loyal customer." But the reality is they know they're in a power position to milk the old cow for a while longer. They will play the game to negotiate better margins and ride until the wheels fall off. Stores generally don't do what is best for the consumer. They do what is best for them.

I worked for what I believe to be the most ethical of the major e-commerce stores in our industry. We would purposefully introduce competitors into categories where there were only one or two options because we knew it would eventually drive prices down. Plus, customers like choice. We might even prefer the existing option, but at least customers had something to measure it against. The really messed up part is those category leaders, brands that we helped build before they had marketing budgets of their own—companies we made millions of dollars for annually—they would punish us for those decisions.

The bottom line is competition is good: it drives innovation. But it's good for the consumer and our industry as whole. If this becomes a rich man's (or woman's) hobby, this industry (as we know it) will disappear.

Last edited:

Sbpe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the detailed reply. I don't have automation on my nano reef now, but I'm thinking this would be a good system to start with, and grow it with an inevitable tank upgrade.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the detailed reply. I don't have automation on my nano reef now, but I'm thinking this would be a good system to start with, and grow it with an inevitable tank upgrade.

It's a great way way to begin automating your aquarium because if/when your needs change, you can still use the Control 2 as part of larger system.

For example, you could use the Control 2 as the brain to run your RO/DI station. It can turn ON your RO/DI. It could have a TDS sensor or a leak detector. Or have a freshwater solenoid to cut water to the RO/DI to stop it instead of turning it OFF completely. Since the devices are wireless and the platform is distributed, you don't have to use the controllers to control a tank. You can use them for other projects, like a saltwater mixing station in your garage.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back