Hydros Wifi 4 outlet wifi6?

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got my new Hydros XS kit today.
It was working fine then the Power strip dropped off and wouldn't respond. I had to unplug the controller and plug back in.
I have my network split. I don't run it combined so I have separate 2.4 and 5gz networks. its on my 2.4 but my question is I have a new Asus wifi 6 router. Is the Hydros comparable with wifi6? Or will it continue to have issues. I turned off my wifi 6 setting on my 2.4ghz network for now to see if it stays stable but I couldn't find any answers if it is fully compatible with wifi 6.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what wifi6 is. It does have to be 2.4ghz and the 5ghz has to have a different name form the 2.4ghz. I use an Asus router but it is several years old. I don't have the wifi strips drop very often and when they do they usually reconnect within a couple of minutes. I just check my alerts and they go back to Saturday and out of 28 alerts none were for wifi power strips and I have 4 of them linked to my collective. I don't control any ATO, AWC or dosing with the wifi strips though.

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WiFi 6 is just the new protocol of it. It’s going from AC router to AX it is a stronger signal and such. My network has 2 different networks like I mentioned. split because I run a lot of other devices that cannot use 5ghz as well. So I turned off my WiFi 6 on my 2.4ghz so it is running on the older AC to see if the comparability is better.

well I take that back as I was typing this I just got an alert it dropped again. So that’s 3 times in the past 2hrs.

laxer23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi 6 is a new standard (802.11ax) current standard is 802.11ac. 802.11ax has both 2.4gh and 5.0gh. Hydros needs 2.4gh. If it's set to 2.4gh and still not working, I would reach out to support to see if the Hydros is compatible with 802.11ax 2.4gh. I haven't researched enough on ax to say what the differences are between 802.11g 2.4gh and 802.11ax
Just saw your recent post. If you have a laptop run this command from cmd prompt. ping 8.8.8.8 -t (google server) see if you have any interruptions. ctl+c wil stop the pings or exit command prompt. This will show you if Wifi is dropping start the troubleshooting process before you reach out to Hydros.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s still dropping for me even when it’s set to run on AC on my 2.4ghz. My tank is literally 3feet from my router so network signal should not be an issue either. It seems to reconnect after a few min but kinda bummed it’s acting this way.
I posted on the coralvue forum asking about this.

laxer23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s still dropping for me even when it’s set to run on AC on my 2.4ghz. My tank is literally 3feet from my router so network signal should not be an issue either. It seems to reconnect after a few min but kinda bummed it’s acting this way.
I posted on the coralvue forum asking about this.
idk if edited messages create an alert or not so I'll post it fresh haha
Just saw your recent post. If you have a laptop run this command from cmd prompt. ping 8.8.8.8 -t (google server) see if you have any interruptions. ctl+c wil stop the pings or exit command prompt. This will show you if Wifi is dropping start the troubleshooting process before Hydros gets back to you.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank or a water source is not between the router and the wifi strip is it. Wifi will not travel through water. I did have one wifi strip that would drop out occasionally like that. I moved it to put a control unit in that spot and once I moved it no more issues with the wifi strip but now the control unit drops out. There are other wifi strips and control units less than a foot from that space and they never have the issue. This was in the garage and a router and access point is less than 10ft from that space.

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no, the router and controller are on the same side. Also i don't think a small 13g tank is going to block much signal. but either way they are right next to each other.
I wonder if I do a static IP to the power strip if that will help at all

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wi-Fi 6 routers are backwards compatible with Wi-Fi 5 devices. So the power strip should still connect. With Hydros being a new product line (don't get me wrong, I use them and they are fantastic), it's possible you got a faulty power strip

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
its been pretty stable since I changed things. I have another strip coming tomorrow because I wanted 8 outlets. I will see if there is any differences in the stability between the two

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am starting to think I have a bad strip. I got my 2nd one in and it hasnt had any drops and this one is still dropping off once or twice a day. I think once BRS gets them back in stock I am going to return it and get another

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to think I have a bad strip. I got my 2nd one in and it hasnt had any drops and this one is still dropping off once or twice a day. I think once BRS gets them back in stock I am going to return it and get another
You can submit a support ticked with CoralVue about this issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back