Hypo

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of doing hyposalinity in my DT I’ve counted 12 rocks with corals that are attached, rest I can take out. There’s enough space in my spare tank to house them. I only have 1 shrimp and 3 crabs which will be easy to take out.
1) can I just fill the other tank with DT water and add the coral into it or do I have to cycle it first.
2) the remaining live rock with no coral will it be fine in hypo?

93BF8AC5-6891-4170-9B33-1336545CCB67.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, the rock that you move to your spare tank should have plenty of beneficial bacteria to keep the ammonia level down for the corals that you move over. There really isn't all that much bacteria in the water itself, it mostly attaches to surfaces.

The remaining live rock will lose some of its microfauna, but it will still be in o.k. shape. How low do you plan to go with the hypo?

Jay

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, the rock that you move to your spare tank should have plenty of beneficial bacteria to keep the ammonia level down for the corals that you move over. There really isn't all that much bacteria in the water itself, it mostly attaches to surfaces.

The remaining live rock will lose some of its microfauna, but it will still be in o.k. shape. How low do you plan to go with the hypo?

Jay
Not sure? From what I read online it said 4 weeks should be enough to cure ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 weeks is pretty standard, some people use 3 weeks. How low do you plan to drop the salinity though? Rememb er that while you can reduce the salinity in a day or so, you need to raise it back up VERY slowly, no more than .003 SG units in one 24 hour period.

Jay

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 weeks is pretty standard, some people use 3 weeks. How low do you plan to drop the salinity though? Rememb er that while you can reduce the salinity in a day or so, you need to raise it back up VERY slowly, no more than .003 SG units in one 24 hour period.

Jay
I’m thinking to drop it to 1.008 or 1.009?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would shoot for 1.009 and be very certain that your measuring device is spot on accurate.
Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back