Hyposalinity with ich

Colten

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a porcupine puffer that I just got a couple days ago, he now has ich. I have 8 assorted damnsels, maroon clown, coral beauty, yellow wrasse, and a yellow goby in the tank with him. Could I just use hypo on the whole display tank to treat the ich? If so, should I lower it all in one day? And how long should I keep it at hypo?

Playa-1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo would be about 6 to 8 weeks. You would likely want to treat in a different container as Hypo will kill inverts, coral etc..., I did that once when I only had a few snails and crabs where I pulled out the inverts that I wanted and then proceeded with Hypo in the DT. As far as how long to take to lower and raise the Sg, It should be lowered and raised very slowly. Some will say it's ok to lower it quicker but it's best to take your sweet time. Maybe take several days to lower the Sg and 5 or 6 days to raise it back up when the process is complete. Definitely read up on the process before moving forward.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try hyposalinity in your DT, but any corals/inverts will need to be removed beforehand. I would lower it down to 1.009 over a period of two days. Three things you need to know:
  1. Sometimes osmotic shock works, sometimes not. At least two hypo resistant strains of ich have been confirmed to exist. :eek:
  2. You need to monitor ammonia closely whist doing hypo as it will sometimes decimate your bio-filter.
  3. You need to test for pH and buffer as needed.
More info on hypo here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hyposalinity.247596/

Back