I’m a dummy.

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is about four months old now and I’ve been having all kinds of nutrient problems because I’m a dumb butt and I overfeed my tank. So I got to look at it tonight and I thought man I’ve got a lot of stuff growing on my rock so I have this toothbrush that I don’t use for anything the fish and I went end of the tank and started just lightly scrubbing this rock off and oh my God, I can’t believe how much leftover decomposing food was on my rock. It completely clouded my entire tank up by the time I got done scrubbing all of the rock off so I let it clear up took about 30 minutes or so and I did it again clouded it up again. There was a ton of stuff on there And I have a complete cleanup crew with everything they recommend other than an urchin so I’m going to hit it again tomorrow and I didn’t realize that this needs to be part of my daily maintenance that I do because I spend a lot of time on my tank, but I just never realized that I needed to gently brush the rock off because I never saw any of that on the rock I couldn’t see it. I didn’t know it was there until I started scrubbing it , so yes I’m a dumb butt but this dummy learn something. Thank you for reading my post. Y’all have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have powerheads other than mp40s turn them on high and take it to each rock crevice a lot less work. Blows it all out I’m in couple minutes for me on my 210.

Reefer Matt

Blue Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is about four months old now and I’ve been having all kinds of nutrient problems because I’m a dumb butt and I overfeed my tank. So I got to look at it tonight and I thought man I’ve got a lot of stuff growing on my rock so I have this toothbrush that I don’t use for anything the fish and I went end of the tank and started just lightly scrubbing this rock off and oh my God, I can’t believe how much leftover decomposing food was on my rock. It completely clouded my entire tank up by the time I got done scrubbing all of the rock off so I let it clear up took about 30 minutes or so and I did it again clouded it up again. There was a ton of stuff on there And I have a complete cleanup crew with everything they recommend other than an urchin so I’m going to hit it again tomorrow and I didn’t realize that this needs to be part of my daily maintenance that I do because I spend a lot of time on my tank, but I just never realized that I needed to gently brush the rock off because I never saw any of that on the rock I couldn’t see it. I didn’t know it was there until I started scrubbing it , so yes I’m a dumb butt but this dummy learn something. Thank you for reading my retarded post. Y’all have a great day.
You sound pretty smart to me! You learned something. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Could be a low flow area where stuff is settling too, so increasing flow may help keep it off. Happy Reefing!

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is about four months old now and I’ve been having all kinds of nutrient problems because I’m a dumb butt and I overfeed my tank. So I got to look at it tonight and I thought man I’ve got a lot of stuff growing on my rock so I have this toothbrush that I don’t use for anything the fish and I went end of the tank and started just lightly scrubbing this rock off and oh my God, I can’t believe how much leftover decomposing food was on my rock. It completely clouded my entire tank up by the time I got done scrubbing all of the rock off so I let it clear up took about 30 minutes or so and I did it again clouded it up again. There was a ton of stuff on there And I have a complete cleanup crew with everything they recommend other than an urchin so I’m going to hit it again tomorrow and I didn’t realize that this needs to be part of my daily maintenance that I do because I spend a lot of time on my tank, but I just never realized that I needed to gently brush the rock off because I never saw any of that on the rock I couldn’t see it. I didn’t know it was there until I started scrubbing it , so yes I’m a dumb butt but this dummy learn something. Thank you for reading my retarded post. Y’all have a great day.
depending on inhabitants, you can literally feed your tank like every other day. People in this hobby overfeed way too much, i think.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Every time you do water change or at least once a week.
Ya, I use the turkey baster right before a water change to get the detritus into the water column as I remove water.

OP
OP
S

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound pretty smart to me! You learned something. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Could be a low flow area where stuff is settling too, so increasing flow may help keep it off. Happy Reefing!
I really need another powerhead to get the low flow areas flowing better.

OP
OP
S

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on inhabitants, you can literally feed your tank like every other day. People in this hobby overfeed way too much, i think.
i have 3 clowns 2 mollies a watchmen and a pistol and a huge bta. and about a dozen lps frags that are starting to grow out sense i started carbon dosing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back