I’m done neglecting my tank... I need advice

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

about every 12 months the same thing happens... and maybe I’m not the only one guilty of this... I tend to get in a big burst of ambition and in a mood to take care of my tank and to make it a great year but this time enough is enough I am committing to it entirely.... and won’t give up anymore.

I am coming here for advice on the best way to get back on track and it could be just as simple as do a lot more water changes and that is understandable...

I have a 65 gallon display tank and a 40 gallon sump with I’d say over 100 lbs total live rock easily... shared throughout the sump and the tank itself..
I have a mp40 as my main pump as well as a 6045 tunze as another power head in my tank..

My sump specs don’t really matter but I have a lifereef skimmer w a varios 6 as well as a varios6 as my return..

I got a GHL controller which measures my temp salinity ph and redox.

My tank gets neglected often considering I do not have any fish currently.. I suffered from ich a while back and honestly decided to just wait everything out and not fill my tank w fish considering I plan on moving sooner and than later and figured coral are easier than fish to catch and transport.

I have different snails and some small hermit crabs but nothing major... I’ve had two large (turbo?) snails but unfortunately one died a few months back randomly while the other is still clinging around...

My algae is the most annoying problem at the moment.. I just ordered some carbon and gfo that will be coming soon so that will also help but other than just doing more water changes I need advice on what to do..

I seem to have coralline growing as well as my corals are alright when they don’t get covered with algae.. I use a turkey baster to occasionally clean my rocks off as well.

Any ideas?? Just water changes??

I was using esv for a little bit but also gave up after a little bit for no real reason..

here are some pics... sorry they are ugly

1FC7789D-D713-4C72-B99D-E597DEF4902A.jpeg 7F1EA123-AACA-4C70-B138-856B17DEA232.jpeg 6C82F04B-2215-4BAB-B58A-2BCBB79A4A3F.jpeg ECB61478-AAAD-4E6E-BA15-67F8677776CE.jpeg 3A1F0A20-CD36-4FD5-A83B-5D325781ED0E.jpeg 6F0B6C25-7C11-43E9-A799-8ECBD10FC977.jpeg 40242B34-77E5-425E-8AFA-DC8FBDEC32BC.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neglect is equal to a lack of repetition and habit. Though life can and does get in the way, one must commit to a schedule that suits your husbandry of the tank.

Here's what i do:

Friday night after work, having dinner I make some RO/DI water. Saturday I mix up some new saltwater and fill the ATO reservoir. Sunday do a water change.
This every week, every month, every year. It takes no more than a half a hour to a hour of my weekend to do all of this.

Repetition becomes second nature and easier to do with time. Find that which works for you and stick to it.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neglect is equal to a lack of repetition and habit. Though life can and does get in the way, one must commit to a schedule that suits your husbandry of the tank.

Here's what i do:

Friday night after work, having dinner I make some RO/DI water. Saturday I mix up some new saltwater and fill the ATO reservoir. Sunday do a water change.
This every week, everyday month, every year. It takes no more than a half a hour to a hour of my weekend to do all of this.

Repetition becomes second nature and easier to do with time. Find that which works for you and stick to it.
Thanks for that,
Do you find that a simple water change fixes nearly all of your problems?

I need to incorporate weekly water changes. I’m guilty of sometimes going months w no water changes just constantly topping my ato... :eek:

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with weekly water changes the same amount every week.
I need to make my water changes easier... I use an old eheim pump or something and some green tubing but I still end up making a mess removing the water. Filling it is easy as I just put the hose into my sump.. any tips for east water removal for a water change? I have a porch 5 feet away too I usually pour the water off of so no need for a sink really.

I was thinking one of those pvc pipe things but unsure that or a python thing ( I think that’s what it’s called the little siphon / tube thing) or what else do you recommend?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that,
Do you find that a simple water change fixes nearly all of your problems?

I need to incorporate weekly water changes. I’m guilty of sometimes going months w no water changes just constantly topping my ato... :eek:

10 Gallons on a 240 every week helps keep my system in check. I do this amount to add elements of the salt mix for the corals, not delusion of my waters nutrients. I don't dose anything except kalkwasser in my ATO reservoir. I clean my glass a couple times a week. I feed my fish a thumb nail of LRS reef frenzy daily and broad cast it throughout the tank. I use no GFO, rarely any GAC.

I do use a filter sock and a UV. That's it.

0FF0383B-3B7A-46FE-8F92-3A2F6FBECDB3.jpeg

I'm old school, but I do keep my schedule of maintenance religiously.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need to make my water changes easier... I use an old eheim pump or something and some green tubing but I still end up making a mess removing the water. Filling it is easy as I just put the hose into my sump.. any tips for east water removal for a water change? I have a porch 5 feet away too I usually pour the water off of so no need for a sink really.

I was thinking one of those pvc pipe things but unsure that or a python thing ( I think that’s what it’s called the little siphon / tube thing) or what else do you recommend
I have 110 gal. Total, I’ll change 5 to 10 gallons weekly. I just dump the 5 gal bucket down my toilet. I basically still do old-school water changes with two 5 gallon buckets. I just set a reminder in my phone and make sure I always do the water changes weekly if I miss one or two my tank would let me know.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a five gallon bucket with lid. Makes spilling harder.

Find a schedule that works for you. I do water change every weekend. Usually Saturday. Its easier now that I have a 32g Rubbermaid and rodi in the basement. Fill up the rodi and use the spigot to fill up my buckets.

Be consistent. As time goes on it becomes easier. Nothing good happens with out discipline.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping the green algae stuff that accumulates on my rocks and glass go away with weekly water changes.. we will see!
Siphon that stuff out when you do water changes and blast the rocks as well, repeat until you have it under control.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Siphon that stuff out when you do water changes and blast the rocks as well, repeat until you have it under control.
I do blow my rocks off once a week with a large turkey baster, or whenever I remember...

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the same water change schedule for years .
23 gal brute garbage to mix water ,

I take out 6 salt buckets ( aqua vitro ) of tank water and replace with the fresh mixed water .
I clean the glass a few times a week
Test once per week to ensure everything is within range .
It’s habit and a way of life .

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth buying a python thing to siphon it out easier without making a mess? Any experience with one? I will add I can’t hook it to my sink considering it is not threaded... so potentially not.: I just like the little tube to help suck stuff out of the tank. I do not really want to clean my sand as much as just get the large algae out. It usually ends up clogging the pump when I pump water out during a water change

What I thought was a big problem of mine was lack of flow.. I thought about adding another power head as well as maybe some clean up crew.

Last edited:

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use your cell phone calendar app to set reminders when things need attention on your tank. Google calendar can even send you emails and push notifications.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 Gallons on a 240 every week helps keep my system in check. I do this amount to add elements of the salt mix for the corals, not delusion of my waters nutrients. I don't dose anything except kalkwasser in my ATO reservoir. I clean my glass a couple times a week. I feed my fish a thumb nail of LRS reef frenzy daily and broad cast it throughout the tank. I use no GFO, rarely any GAC.

I do use a filter sock and a UV. That's it.

0FF0383B-3B7A-46FE-8F92-3A2F6FBECDB3.jpeg

I'm old school, but I do keep my schedule of maintenance religiously.
That long polyp leather is awesome!

cngh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this time is the time, might as well go all the way. By that I mean, if you want to change your scape, might as well be now. That way you can take out your rock, give it a good scrub and rinse and set it up how you want and for optimal flow.

Since your mucking everything up, do a 100% water change, clean out the sump of detritus, clean all your equipment, get your wires/plumbing organized, etc. Basically start over but keep your live rock alive.

I did that recently with my in-laws tank after months of severe neglect. Algae and thick red slime everywhere, ato quit working so salinity was off a lot, had a nasty old sand bed, fish and cuc died off, even shrooms that like dirty water were beginning to die off.

Granted it is a 24 gallon nano, but I took a whole day and put the live rock in buckets, scrubbed them, took out the sand bed (bare bottom now), cleaned and scraped the tank interior and back chambers, then re-scaped and all new water. It's still a work in progress. Had to dose red slime remover twice as it kept coming back even after all that. But it's in much better shape. Corals are coloring up and growing. It's presentable and almost to where I think fish can be added back.

It's a process for sure. But worth it when you get over that hump.

Good luck!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth buying a python thing to siphon it out easier without making a mess? Any experience with one? I will add I can’t hook it to my sink considering it is not threaded... so potentially not.: I just like the little tube to help suck stuff out of the tank. I do not really want to clean my sand as much as just get the large algae out. It usually ends up clogging the pump when I pump water out during a water change

What I thought was a big problem of mine was lack of flow.. I thought about adding another power head as well as maybe some clean up crew.
I've never used a python, but generally use a rigid tube attached to flex tubing for all my water changes siphoning algae, cyano, and detritus whenever I can. I've just recently started using a gravel vac on a larger tank, but for rockwork I siphon with a smaller tube and blast the rock work with a turkey baster. Sometimes you can blast all the gunk off and it will settle in certain areas of the tank for a quick siphon.

I have a 29 gallon with TWO small circulating pumps and the return pump and I think I could use more flow in spots:D

It may be a good time to clean what pumps you do have. That is one thing I neglect to do and I see increased flow when I do clean them. You can also redirect your current arrangement of flow for a while to get things stirred up.

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of times in this hobby, things that are aesthetically pleasing are healthy and well taken care of. For me, if I feel like it’s been a while since I’ve done some maintenance, I can usually tell because, say, the rocks are green or the sand Ed isn’t clear. Then I know its time to do some maintenance, whether it be replace some rocks (sometimes algae stained them green) or maybe it’s just a straight water change. I think all of your specs look good, there is definitely loads of potential for a beautiful reef system, and if motivation or finding time is your issue, maybe try getting a nice low maintenance fish that will force you to pay attention every 2-3 days. Of course, if you want to keep it no fish, it’s up to you

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used a python, but generally use a rigid tube attached to flex tubing for all my water changes siphoning algae, cyano, and detritus whenever I can. I've just recently started using a gravel vac on a larger tank, but for rockwork I siphon with a smaller tube and blast the rock work with a turkey baster. Sometimes you can blast all the gunk off and it will settle in certain areas of the tank for a quick siphon.

I have a 29 gallon with TWO small circulating pumps and the return pump and I think I could use more flow in spots:D

It may be a good time to clean what pumps you do have. That is one thing I neglect to do and I see increased flow when I do clean them. You can also redirect your current arrangement of flow for a while to get things stirred up.
I actually soaked my powerhead in citric acid yesterday and it seemed to work quite well.. going to try my return pumps and whatnot soon as well.
Any pics of your little siphon hose setup?
Thanks!

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of times in this hobby, things that are aesthetically pleasing are healthy and well taken care of. For me, if I feel like it’s been a while since I’ve done some maintenance, I can usually tell because, say, the rocks are green or the sand Ed isn’t clear. Then I know its time to do some maintenance, whether it be replace some rocks (sometimes algae stained them green) or maybe it’s just a straight water change. I think all of your specs look good, there is definitely loads of potential for a beautiful reef system, and if motivation or finding time is your issue, maybe try getting a nice low maintenance fish that will force you to pay attention every 2-3 days. Of course, if you want to keep it no fish, it’s up to you
I always thought about getting the tank back into shape and then possibly adding a fish or something that was easy to take care of. Any ideas of a fish that wouldn’t need a huge amount of maintenance but would also make me take care of the tank? Something that wouldn’t be miserable to catch later on lol when I move my tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back