I’m doseing phosphates and nitrates seam connected?

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doseing phosphate at the thread title says. And I’m noticing that as phosphate goes up so does nitrates. And as phosphate goes down so does my aquariums nitrates.
Anybody know what is with this ? Currently as of today, phosphate is 091 ppb and nitrates are 20ppm Testing done with Hanna ulr phosphate tester , and API nitrate tester.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doseing phosphate at the thread title says. And I’m noticing that as phosphate goes up so does nitrates. And as phosphate goes down so does my aquariums nitrates.
Anybody know what is with this ? Currently as of today, phosphate is 091 ppb and nitrates are 20ppm Testing done with Hanna ulr phosphate tester , and API nitrate tester.
The PO4 measurements are more trustworthy than the nitrate measurements. API is trustworthy but was designed to be a quick test and cover a broad range. Even at 20 ppm, the color is quite saturated and subject to large variation in interpretation. If you like the API test, dilute thr aquarium sample so that the color intensity is in the 0 - 10 ppm range. Even if you decide to purchase another kit, you will still need to dilute the sample. The human eye has difficulty in perceiving differences in color intensity at high color saturation levels.

When the nitrate measurements are tightened up, I think the current trend will disappear.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will often be used together (coral and algae uptake), and can also be added together (as in fish waste), but dosing phosphate is not going to increase nitrate, and dosing nitrate is not going to increase phosphate.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back