What's everyone's Nitrate to phosphate ratio?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick a photo up of your out of control ratio tank. I bet it's rubbish :)
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
15849492-DE5D-49EF-8335-6EFBD72959A9.png

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've long thought that algal exudates promote removable bacterial growth, even though they are associated with vibrio, eek :)
Don’t worry. Never drink or wash wounds in aquarium water and you should be OK :)

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been constant 10 NO3 and .1-.144 PO4. Fighting Dino’s so trying to keep that up haven’t done a water change in 4 weeks but all I have in the tank right now are two fish and some Zoa’s.
I've been through the dino game twice now. It amazing how just keeping your nutrients up and waiting for the other bacteria to outcompete it works! Good luck!

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates .09 today
Phosphates .20

I can’t keep nitrates up and I dose
Can’t get phosphates down and I am using phosguard and I wash and drain my fish food.

I use an algae scrubber too.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone's nitrate to phosphate ratio? Mine has always been around 100:1 (10 nitrate .1 phosphate as measured by the Hanna checkers). Recently though after a bit of LARS action my nutrients spiked up to 40 nitrates and .4 nitrates. With consistent water changes I'm down to about 15 nitrate but my phosphate has been a bit stubborn and is sitting at .3 despite the water changes. Was just curious if everyone else's ratios.
The ratio is irrelevant.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’d let your nitrates goto zero and leave phosphates at .20?

That’s not what she meant.

In any case, targeting N and P in desirable absolute ranges is never going to lead one astray, why talking only in ratios can lead to serious problems no matter how “desirable” the ratio is.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not what she meant.

In any case, targeting N and P in desirable absolute ranges is never going to lead one astray, why talking only in ratios can lead to serious problems no matter how “desirable” the ratio is.
I get it but blanket statements are not helpful either way.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it but blanket statements are not helpful either way.

Well, I think a strong blanket statement to ignore ratios when setting target concentrations is appropriate. I do agree, and expect she agrees that one might misinterpret what she wrote to mean that an infinite or zero ratio is ok when, in fact, it likely is not.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think a strong blanket statement to ignore ratios when setting target concentrations is appropriate. I do agree, and expect she agrees that one might misinterpret what she wrote to mean that an infinite or zero ratio is ok when, in fact, it likely is not.
Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley . Yes, I assumed a zero ratio was off the table. To me, that would be brought up in a "nutrients are non-existent" type thread/question, and not one about ratios.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really interesting one. Can you tell me some more things about your tank?
Sure

Tank is a 75 gallon that has been up for 2 years since i upgraded from a 45 gallon.

Tank was doing fine for awhile. The only changes I think were made was

1. All for reef doser was clogged for a few days. Alk went from 8,5 to 7.5
2. I removed a few media blocks that I thought could be leaching metals.
3. Sold a bunch congrats off at one point. I think this quickly reduced the consumption requirements for my corals

A month ago I noticed my torches firsts. They all started shrinking. Then I started losing acros one at a times seemed like it told a few days for one. Then another would start stn’ing. Now I’m down to probably 5 acros from 12 ish. Down to 2 torches from 9 ish.

Meanwhile monti, Duncan’s, fungi, Goni, acans are all doing well.

Icp test was done. No heavy metal issues. Low trace elements reported

Meanwhile I’ve been doing no weekly water changes to try to get the tank in balance.

Alk has been tested nearly daily. Only between 8.8-9.3

Nitrates are very low. I don t have lager fish colony. Usually nitrates are 5-3 but I have to dose multiple times a weekZ

Phosphates are consistently .20. Months back I had them lower around .05-.10. Not sure what changed as I feed even less now I think.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back