What's everyone's Nitrate to phosphate ratio?

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone's nitrate to phosphate ratio? Mine has always been around 100:1 (10 nitrate .1 phosphate as measured by the Hanna checkers). Recently though after a bit of LARS action my nutrients spiked up to 40 nitrates and .4 nitrates. With consistent water changes I'm down to about 15 nitrate but my phosphate has been a bit stubborn and is sitting at .3 despite the water changes. Was just curious if everyone else's ratios.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's everyone's nitrate to phosphate ratio? Mine has always been around 100:1 (10 nitrate .1 phosphate as measured by the Hanna checkers). Recently though after a bit of LARS action my nutrients spiked up to 40 nitrates and .4 nitrates. With consistent water changes I'm down to about 15 nitrate but my phosphate has been a bit stubborn and is sitting at .3 despite the water changes. Was just curious if everyone else's ratios.
I run 10 - 15 NO3 and .3 PO4 pretty consistently.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty : Plenty

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 100:1 (40 ish nitrates, 0.4 ish phosphates)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you were not looking for the lecture that ratios are bunk :)

My system’s nitrate is generally 4 ppm. If it approaches 10 ppm, which is infrequent and seemingly random, I turn on the third of three LED spotlights mounted over the macro algae pond behind the aquarium. This is enough to drive the nitrate level to zero. Phosphate is steady at around 0.4 ppm. If it goes above 0.5 ppm I will attach a small GFO reactor until it drops to 0.1 or less. Then I remove the reactor and let the PO4 increase again.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, now I gotta go test. Thanks a lot! J/k! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Jimmy Fallon Thank You GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My system’s nitrate is generally 4 ppm. If it approaches 10 ppm, which is infrequent and seemingly random, I turn on the third of three LED spotlights mounted over the macro algae pond behind the aquarium. This is enough to drive the nitrate level to zero. Phosphate is steady at around 0.4 ppm. If it goes above 0.5 ppm I will attach a small GFO reactor until it drops to 0.1 or less. Then I remove the reactor and let the PO4 increase again.
Do you have a skimmer? Algae produce a lot of stuff to fuel bacterial growth.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like a solid setup you have going there. I feel like my refugium is undersized for my system. This is a new build for me (had my old system for about 15 years) and unfortunately due to space restraints in my utility room I wasn't able to make mine as large as I thought it should be.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been constant 10 NO3 and .1-.144 PO4. Fighting Dino’s so trying to keep that up haven’t done a water change in 4 weeks but all I have in the tank right now are two fish and some Zoa’s.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually more red slime than anything right now
I've only ever had 3 cases of red cyano in 20ish years. Two were obviously due to low flow and food being trapped. The other was a low light area on a high powered algae scrubber (high organics).

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS starting to take a beating when I hit that. Honestly the LPS weren't loving it either.
I hear ya. And I don’t really like running either as high as they are. But if you discount some cyano, all is well

IMG_0520.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a skimmer? Algae produce a lot of stuff to fuel bacterial growth.
Yes, there is a skimmer that I adjust to remove 1-2 liters per day from the ~380 liter system.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is a skimmer that I adjust to remove 1-2 liters per day from the ~380 liter system.
I've long thought that algal exudates promote removable bacterial growth, even though they are associated with vibrio, eek :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back