I’m dumb…

leonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so I got a pair of fire fish afew days ago 2-3 and I didn’t qt them…. Mistake number 1 after about a day the fire fish looked like it had ich but it looked as if they where shedding and you could see it looked like shedded skin peeling off so ich was out of the solution thank god moved them to a qt tank and 1 has passed away today and it looked like it was beaten up but no bite marks the body had turned abit red I went to my lfs and they said it was a bacterial infection just wanna get some smarter peoples opinion since my lfs isint the best!

IMG_8707.png IMG_8706.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Diagnosing dead fish without a microscope typically isn't possible. Did both firefish die? Are there any other fish in the tank that might have caught what they had?

Ich will look like salt grains on the fish, but as the disease progresses, you'll start to see a thickening of the skin that mimics other diseases like Brooklynella.

OP
OP
L

leonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Diagnosing dead fish without a microscope typically isn't possible. Did both firefish die? Are there any other fish in the tank that might have caught what they had?

Ich will look like salt grains on the fish, but as the disease progresses, you'll start to see a thickening of the skin that mimics other diseases like Brooklynella.
Nope just the one fish had them in my main tank and when I thought I had noticed ich I moved them both asap to a different tank then one died other one looks like it’s doing fine. Other fish in main tank all look good and are eating.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope just the one fish had them in my main tank and when I thought I had noticed ich I moved them both asap to a different tank then one died other one looks like it’s doing fine. Other fish in main tank all look good and are eating.

I've had issues keeping two firefish in a tank - I wonder if this is from fighting?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bacterial infection only 1 died other looks great. Died within 24 hours of spotting it

Right, but the winner of any fighting wouldn't have the skin damage that would lead to an infection......

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back