I’m guessing that this is an amphipod, but not sure?

derek12261984

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, fairly new to the reef hobby, having my tank set up for about three or four months now. I recently sat down and looked at all my rocks really closely today and I’m noticing a bunch of these little guys crawling across my rock Work. I don’t think it’s any type of bristle worm as these guys are incredibly small (less than or equal to a mm maybe). They also look almost translucent.

I have regularly dosed my tank with copepods but never amphipods or isopods. Does anybody have any idea of what this might be? Also, FYI, ignore the dino… I am currently in a battle with it. They almost look like they’re eating the dino in fact. Anyone know what these things are and whether or not they are good or bad for the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_9801.mov
    19.1 MB
OP
OP
derek12261984

derek12261984

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, fairly new to the reef hobby, having my tank set up for about three or four months now. I recently sat down and looked at all my rocks really closely today and I’m noticing a bunch of these little guys crawling across my rock Work. I don’t think it’s any type of bristle worm as these guys are incredibly small (less than or equal to a mm maybe). They also look almost translucent.

I have regularly dosed my tank with copepods but never amphipods or isopods. Does anybody have any idea of what this might be? Also, FYI, ignore the dino… I am currently in a battle with it. They almost look like they’re eating the dino in fact. Anyone know what these things are and whether or not they are good or bad for the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_9801.mov
    19.1 MB
  • IMG_9806.jpeg
    IMG_9806.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9805.jpeg
    IMG_9805.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
derek12261984

derek12261984

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes amphipods. Usually good, have heard people have seen issues but for as long as I have had tanks I have had them and never an issue
Awesome thank you so much! There are a bunch of them inside of my rock and around my frag plugs. They don’t seem to be bothering the coral and it almost looks like they’re eating the dino. I’m dealing with.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back