I am getting a new return pump

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a new return pump as my cat knocked the jebao off the table and it fell on concrete and cracked.

I want to get something good, dc, and no more than 500-550gph. That leaves me with ecotech s1, current USA or Sicce SDC or reef octopus.

I just want a good pump. I want it to be dc to keep the power bill down because it has gone up significantly since all my fish gear was added.

I also want a nice pump because I want to be able to use it if I ever get a bigger tank.

Let me know your honest thoughts. For those who do have the ecotech, sicce, reef octo or current how do you like the controller for it?

ok back to work.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my current pump. It is extremely quiet. I have no problem with the controller.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sicce- quiet and delivers well

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Varios , Ecotech are very quite.
I found Sicce to loud and vibrate a lot

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning towArd ecotech. The sicce is a close second. I’ll know monday

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am very happy with my Vectras I've used over the years.
You also said you were looking at Reef Octo. I've had a couple VarioS pumps that were good solid and very quiet pumps.

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a new return pump as my cat knocked the jebao off the table and it fell on concrete and cracked.

I want to get something good, dc, and no more than 500-550gph. That leaves me with ecotech s1, current USA or Sicce SDC or reef octopus.

I just want a good pump. I want it to be dc to keep the power bill down because it has gone up significantly since all my fish gear was added.

I also want a nice pump because I want to be able to use it if I ever get a bigger tank.

Let me know your honest thoughts. For those who do have the ecotech, sicce, reef octo or current how do you like the controller for it?

ok back to work.
I have an L2, which is enormous, and completely dead silent. You’d have to touch it to know that it’s running. It also has a calibration feature, which was helpful since it’s a bit oversized for my tank. I only run it on constant mode. My return has two VCA random flow generators, so I don’t use the other modes.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an L2, which is enormous, and completely dead silent. You’d have to touch it to know that it’s running. It also has a calibration feature, which was helpful since it’s a bit oversized for my tank. I only run it on constant mode. My return has two VCA random flow generators, so I don’t use the other modes.

i watched a video on calibration but I don’t get it. The pump actually knows how much water is too much for whatever overflow I have? Or is it just done by eye?

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i watched a video on calibration but I don’t get it. The pump actually knows how much water is too much for whatever overflow I have? Or is it just done by eye?
As you’re calibrating, you adjust the power level, so to speak. It took some time for me to get it dialed in...it was so powerful that it almost ran the pump dry, initially. After that initial adjustment, I haven’t touched it.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You need to know what the overflow is rated for.
You also need to know what the pump is capable of.
You need to estimate the headloss and make sure the return pump stays under the overflows maximum capacity.
Using a dc controllable pump makes that much easier.
The calibration feature is something ETM added in the controls.
I've never done it. All my Vectras have worked just fine without it.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just buy a Sicce 2.0 or a Tunze 1073.02. They will last next to forever and you will save some good money up front for the extra $1 a month in power they will cost you.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to know what the overflow is rated for.
You also need to know what the pump is capable of.
You need to estimate the headloss and make sure the return pump stays under the overflows maximum capacity.
Using a dc controllable pump makes that much easier.
The calibration feature is something ETM added in the controls.
I've never done it. All my Vectras have worked just fine without it.

I went witH Vectra. It will work with my overflow. My overflow will be rated for 800gph so it’s all good as long as the pump is low.

image.jpg

Gchan888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the skimz quietpro dc 1.2 for my RedSea 170. It’s not WiFi controllable but is controllable via the control panel and has a feed mode. Been very happy with it so far. Cheaper, no frills option and one of the few dc options with lower GPH max capacity.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back