I am thereefingspider

Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Most use RO water for their ATO because of the lack of minerals in the water. The waste water from a FW tank is likely high in minerals and other things that would like be problematic to your reef tank.
 
Welcome to R2R!!
Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine
 
Wanted everyone thoughts on using the waste water from a planted tank as the ato water for my reef. In nature this happens naturally and I’m positive it has some benefits but I’m not sure of any drawbacks.
I wouldn't. My freshwater planted tank has relatively low nitrates (10-20ppm) by waterchange time in the water column, but if I were to gravel vac as well, the changed water is dark and yucky. That has to contain concentrated amounts of nitrate and phosphate in levels that would surely wreck a reef system.

But hello there!! Welcome aboard!
 
I wouldn't. My freshwater planted tank has relatively low nitrates (10-20ppm) by waterchange time in the water column, but if I were to gravel vac as well, the changed water is dark and yucky. That has to contain concentrated amounts of nitrate and phosphate in levels that would surely wreck a reef system.

But hello there!! Welcome aboard!
+1
 
Wanted everyone thoughts on using the waste water from a planted tank as the ato water for my reef. In nature this happens naturally and I’m positive it has some benefits but I’m not sure of any drawbacks.
Welcome to Da Reef!
Marine Biology Ocean GIF
 
Wanted everyone thoughts on using the waste water from a planted tank as the ato water for my reef. In nature this happens naturally and I’m positive it has some benefits but I’m not sure of any drawbacks.
Welcome!! I would not recommend. The waste water is going to be high in nutrients that’s why you are replacing it in from the planted tank. Naturally it happens but in a much different scale and small amounts of waste water to the vastness of the ocean.
That being said if you do it as an experiment please post about it I would be excited to see the results!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new