I am watching my Spotcinctus clowns lay eggs

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Spotcinctus that we got off of John Kovacs are currently laying eggs on the back glass on the tank right above their anemones! It's pretty awesome!!! I mean, none of them will live as I don't have any cultures going or set up for rearing fry, but I thought that I would share!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is cool beans and a good sign. Are you ever going to think about trying to raise the fry?

OP
OP
JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is cool beans and a good sign. Are you ever going to think about trying to raise the fry?
Yes, we probably will set up the proper culturing stations when I get around to setting up our fish room after the holidays. We have only had this pair for 2 months. They are large adults that were breeding regularly when we purchased them from a club member back in October. It's just very exciting to see. The first time that I have actually witnessed the event!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Round 2 of egg laying! Not bad, clutches 2 weeks apart!

Sweet...mine lay about every two weeksas well. You'll never get tired of seeing it! I just wish it wasn't so much work to try to raise them.

OP
OP
JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went and got back my clownfish breeding books back from a buddy. I might try and raise them at some point, mostly because the wife wants me to.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went and got back my clownfish breeding books back from a buddy. I might try and raise them at some point, mostly because the wife wants me to.

I wish you luck and please update here if you give it a go.

My wife wanted me to try as well. I told her if she wanted baby clowns she would have to do it and made her read what it entails. She came back with the following statement..."well the eggs make great food for the other fish"!!!

OP
OP
JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you luck and please update here if you give it a go.

My wife wanted me to try as well. I told her if she wanted baby clowns she would have to do it and made her read what it entails. She came back with the following statement..."well the eggs make great food for the other fish"!!!
My fox face had a good snack the last time they laid. Granted these clowns are HUGE and they did not like him eating their babies! He didn't look too good the next day.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox face had a good snack the last time they laid. Granted these clowns are HUGE and they did not like him eating their babies! He didn't look too good the next day.
A clown would be smart not to toy with a fox, that can literally be deadly!

Congrats on the breeding clowns!

OP
OP
JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clown would be smart not to toy with a fox, that can literally be deadly!

Congrats on the breeding clowns!

I hear you, but these clowns are not your average tiny little fish, these are 8+ year old MONSTERS!!! They are bigger than my full grown fox face. The eggs were gone and the fox face was messed up. I bet he learned his lesson and won't eat this clutch :p

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, but these clowns are not your average tiny little fish, these are 8+ year old MONSTERS!!! They are bigger than my full grown fox face. The eggs were gone and the fox face was messed up. I bet he learned his lesson and won't eat this clutch :p
A fox's poison can kill animals far larger than itself. Just saying!

I want to see pics of these clowns now though!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back