I April fooled myself Original Title: Disaster! Is my tank cracked?

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I thought I would share this. I April fooled myself. So the background here is first that I have been waiting more than a decade to start my first reef tank. I finally had the right combination of money, a home I am going to stay in for awhile, and spousal support to go for it. I am just weeks away from buying my first fish and hours away from filling my tank. Also its my birthday today (yes for real). So I am looking at my tank right before I start to fill it and I see the "crack" below. I had written the entire paragraph below before I decided to try a straight razor and scratching the "crack" off. And low and behold it did come off :) I thought this was about to be my worst birthday ever. The below paragraph is included for your amusement.

Ok this is a stupid question but I am new. The question is, is my tank cracked? I can feel the "crack" from the outside but not the inside of the glass. The tank has never been filled and nothing has hit it or been dropped on it. I have tried to wipe it off with a towel and water but its not coming off. I also tried scraping it my my algae scrapper on the outside of the glass but it didn't come off. I don't know how this could have happened. The tank is brand new and has never been filled with water. I have waited 10 years to start a reef tank and I was so close. I got my RO yesterday and almost have enough to fill the tank but I don't want to fill it if the tank is cracked (I don't want to wait either though :( )

IMG_4574.JPG
IMG_4573.JPG

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a roller coaster of a day! Happy birthday and I'm glad this ended very well for you! Hopefully you do a build thread so we can follow along with your creation! :-D

OP
OP
E

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a roller coaster of a day! Happy birthday and I'm glad this ended very well for you! Hopefully you do a build thread so we can follow along with your creation! :-D
Thanks Karen. I think I will start my build thread today or tomorrow. I wanted to get far enough in that there was something to show.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, April Fool's Day is probably even better when you get yourself with a joke!
It is very likely that the "crack" is a thin strand of silicone that trailed over the glass, and the fact that a razor scraped it off confirms this likelihood.

...and I am looking forward to your build thread! What size is your tank?

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! IF it wasn't true and you got to say April's Fool at the end … it might have "cracked" us up (sorry 'bout the pun).
Hope your Birthday get lots better!

Back