I assume this is algae?

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what looks to be red sheets of algae growing on my rock work in my tank. It kind of looks like it’s breaking up then it’s a solid sheet again. The lights make it hard to see. Before I put the LED lights on last week. Tank is just under a year old. I’m not sure if this is just part of new tank growth or something else.

I have a blue tang, one spot foxface and two clowns. A bunch of inverts, pistol shrimp, cleaner shrimp and brittle starfish. There’s also several corals of varying types.

The corals and fish don’t seem bothered by the algae.

EE66F4F3-7F9D-48C5-99D9-5D0B4240FF7D.jpeg

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going to have to turn down the blues and take a picture with white light. It sounds like you’re describing Cyanobacteria though. Or maybe a mix of cyano and coralline. Just can’t tell from that picture though.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that something to be worried about? What causes it?
Small amounts of cyano is pretty common. Nearly impossible to completely eliminate it. Problem comes into play when it overwhelms and outcompetes your biodiversity ecosystem. Then you have a problem. Couple of ways of dealing with it is to do a black out. Other way is to take a toothbrush, dislodge it and get it filtered out of your water column. If it is in a small spot...spot treat with a toothbrush. If pervasive..you got a bigger problem to deal with.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back